Good Citizen

Default If you get a ticket crossborder does your insurance company find out?

Just as the topic line points out I am traveling to the states this weekend and want to know. If I get a ticket in Kentucky or any state for that matter, does it get reported back to my insurance company?

Experienced

Default Re: If you get a ticket crossborder does your insurance company find out?

Call your insurance company, I'm sure they know, they're usually fairly knowledgable about stuff like that. Or call your vehicle registration company, perhaps they'd know?

Newcomer

Default Re: If you get a ticket crossborder does your insurance company find out?

as a resident insurance agent on thios forum the answer is, if they report it to your motorvehicle report they would find it there. most insurance companies run a check every renewal. i once asked if that got expensive and i was told that the cost to pull the MVR at 5 dollars each is quite a lot less expense verses the additional insurance premiums they can collect over the next 3 years if they find a violation.

Experienced

*REMEMBER* insurance companys are under no obligation to tell you the truth. Unless you know somebody there don't expect to anything but the company line.

They're not going to find out until the visiting state reports to the home state/province. It's a patch work of agreements between the states.
    Research the states your visiting to see if they report to the Ontario DMV.

Speed Demon

Quote Originally Posted by dcdave78 View Post
    Just as the topic line points out I am traveling to the states this weekend and want to know. If I get a ticket in Kentucky or any state for that matter, does it get reported back to my insurance company?
    For us in Ontario, you only have to worry about New York and Michigan. Any other state and it doesn't get reported up here.

Newcomer

Quote Originally Posted by bass mechanic View Post
    as a resident insurance agent on this forum the answer is, if they report it to your motorvehicle report they would find it there. most insurance companies run a check every renewal. i once asked if that got expensive and i was told that the cost to pull the MVR at 5 dollars each is quite a lot less expense verses the additional insurance premiums they can collect over the next 3 years if they find a violation.
    I will definitely vouch for this statement as my father is an insurance agent and that it has personally happened to me.

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by bass mechanic View Post
    as a resident insurance agent on thios forum the answer is, if they report it to your motorvehicle report they would find it there. most insurance companies run a check every renewal. i once asked if that got expensive and i was told that the cost to pull the MVR at 5 dollars each is quite a lot less expense verses the additional insurance premiums they can collect over the next 3 years if they find a violation.
    Not every state sends it back to Canada.