Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Professional

Default Medical "exemption" for my CA window tint.

First, I believe that State Law does not permit medical exemptions for tinting beyond what State Law allows. However, doctors here still write letters and sometimes it can help get people out of a ticket.

My dermatologist told me that with his letters, cops usually back off as long as it isn't so dark that they can't see anything at all. (i.e. 5 percent). I have read many encounters of other people in CA and found that some cops do let them go and some still write a ticket. I even found a few cases where the person got a ticket, showed the letter to a judge, and got the ticket thrown out.

A few days ago, my doctor said he would write me a letter for my tint and mail it to me. I'm curious to see how well they actually work if I ever do get caught. Nevertheless, I'm really glad to have that because it may just help me someday.

BTW, I actually have a skin disorder. I burn quickly in sun light and start to get sick after more than 5-10 minutes of direct contact. First I get nauseous and after about an hour, I start to get migraines. I'm going to be taking a bunch of tests soon so they can narrow me down to exactly what disorder I have and they are going to see what light spectrums I am most sensitive to... if not all.

Advanced Member

Default Re: Medical "exemption" for my CA window tint.

I did get a medical wavier for tint from a doctor. I never used it because I would have had to take my vehicle to a certain place for a VA inspection sticker. (if my memory is right) It was not worth the hassle. I have had limo tint since 1990.

The waiver for a reduction in tint. I cant remember the percentage but it was know where near limo tint.
    2004 Ford Excursion V10 Eddie Bauer Edition / Mercedes Benz E Class
    EBC Vented and drilled rotors ..EBC 4000 Kevlar brake
    Gibson Headers
    PIAA XT 90 Fog Lights Vision X Off Road Lights HID 5700
    Galaxy 919 CB Radio, Palomar 80, 100 Watt power amplifier
    Wilson 1000 antenna
    Magellan GPS Cheetah C50 GPS
    Costillo Dash Cam VC-100
    Kustom Pro Laser ll Infrared Lidar Gun Bushnell Radar Gun
    Valentine One Radar Detector's for the past 15 plus years

http://www.youtube.com/user/MyValentineone?feature=mhum

Professional

California Vehicle Code
    26708. (a) (1) A person shall not drive any motor vehicle with any object or material placed, displayed, installed, affixed, or applied upon the windshield or side or rear windows.

(2) A person shall not drive any motor vehicle with any object or material placed, displayed, installed, affixed, or applied in or upon the vehicle that obstructs or reduces the driver’s clear view through the windshield or side windows.

(10) Sun screening devices meeting the requirements of Section 26708.2 installed on the side windows on either side of the vehicle’s front seat, if the driver or a passenger in the front seat has in his or her possession a letter or other document signed by a licensed physician and surgeon certifying that the person must be shaded from the sun due to a medical condition, or has in his or her possession a letter or other document signed by a licensed optometrist certifying that the person must be shaded from the sun due to a visual condition. The devices authorized by this paragraph shall not be used during darkness.

26708.2. Sun screening devices permitted by paragraph (10) of subdivision (b) of Section 26708 shall meet the following requirements:

(a) The devices shall be held in place by means allowing ready removal from the window area, such as a frame, a rigid material with temporary fasteners, or a flexible roller shade.

(b) Devices utilizing transparent material shall be green, gray, or a neutral smoke in color and shall have a luminous transmittance of not less than 35 percent.

(c) Devices utilizing nontransparent louvers or other alternating patterns of opaque and open sections shall have an essentially uniform pattern over the entire surface, except for framing and supports. At least 35 percent of the device area shall be open and no individual louver or opaque section shall have a projected vertical dimension exceeding 3/16 inch.

(d) The devices shall not have a reflective quality exceeding 35 percent on either the inner or outer surface.

-------------------------------
    Well my side windows are 40 percent... and technically they can be removed from the "window area" by me rolling the window down. So perhaps I can get away from daytime tickets?

Experienced

Good luck with that...
    it sucks that you give them another reason to pull you over even if you were able to get out of it!

This is good stuff. I never knew that there were ways around the ticket for window tinting... I dont think it would be helpful for me though unless i had a doctor willing to write me the note unnessisarily. But still, very good information.

Yoda of Radar

It is certainly very likely to give a reasonable officer cause to let it go, regardless of whether there is actual legal justification or not. Ever notice how cops always ask you if there was a reason for your speed? Well, there is no law that says you can legally speed for any reason, yet they still give you the chance to give an excuse. Same with the tint laws. If you convince him, then that's good enough.

Of course, the problem is that not all cops are reasonable people. Some are straght-up arseholes. So, even if the exemption were "legal", you'd still find plenty of cops who would still write you a ticket, and make you spend money and a day in court to fight it. Win or lose, you still lose.

"Buy the BEST and screw the rest." - fire65

"im intrested to see how well you do.i never seen a car JTG before would be a first for me.." - radarrob

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Stealth Stalker View Post
    Of course, the problem is that not all cops are reasonable people. Some are straght-up arseholes. So, even if the exemption were "legal", you'd still find plenty of cops who would still write you a ticket, and make you spend money and a day in court to fight it. Win or lose, you still lose.
    makes me think of this

You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is never try

Professional

Quote Originally Posted by Stealth Stalker View Post
    It is certainly very likely to give a reasonable officer cause to let it go, regardless of whether there is actual legal justification or not. Ever notice how cops always ask you if there was a reason for your speed? Well, there is no law that says you can legally speed for any reason, yet they still give you the chance to give an excuse. Same with the tint laws. If you convince him, then that's good enough.

Yeah, that is what my doctor mostly told me. He said a lot of cops back off, and some won't no matter what. Nevertheless, it is worth a try. Not all cops are out there to get you for anything they can. Out of the 10+ times I've been pulled over, I've only received 5 or so tickets - all by the CHP. I've noticed that the officers are extremely reasonable and nice over 60 percent of the time.

I'm, keeping my tint either way. If the note saves me from even one ticket... then I think it was worth getting.

Speed Demon

I tried it when I wasn't allowed to have front window tint when I lived in NJ. They do have legit medical exemptions in NJ and my one medication said avoid prolonged exposure to sun but my doctor said that wasn't a good enough reason haha

Professional

They're rare in Pennsylvania, you have to go through all different hoops to get one, it's not as simple as just getting a note from your doctor. Last I checked, some state medical board had to review every request or something like that.

I guess it helps once you're stopped but there's a low chance that an officer would know ahead of time of the exemption.