Good Citizen

Exclamation Correct Steps to Dispute a Ticket???

Hi. I was recently "unfairly" ticketed (non-speeding) and I was wondering where is the best place (ie a forum, this or another site) to get advice on taking the proper steps in disputing it.

Thanks.

Mods - if this is NOT the correct location to post this, please move to proper section as I was unsure where to make this post.

Power User

Default Re: Correct Steps to Dispute a Ticket???

Last edited by v1user; 09-20-2011 at 10:12 PM.

Professional

Contact the court for the jurisdiction where your citation was issued and request a court hearing...that would be the first step.

How you defend yourself in court depends entirely on the offense that has occurred and even then it differs (like with speeding there's different issues that can be mentioned with radar vs. lidar vs. pacing vs. vascar, etc.)

Without knowing much more it's probably going to be tough for anyone to help you... but yes, the first step would be to contact the court and set up a preliminary hearing regarding your citation(s).

Good Citizen

Is it recommended to request an extension or to contest the citation immediately? Also should I take pictures of anything (ie the posted sign, the broken white line on the turn lane, etc)?

In a nutshell, I was ticketed for failing to turn right on a "turn-only" lane. I was driving down a 3-lane street and before a major intersection, the right furthermost lane becomes a "turn-only" lane. There is a posted sign telling cars to merge left if they want to proceed ahead in traffic and right before that lane becomes a right-turn lane, the white line is "broken" allowing cars to shift over.

There was an LEO parked in a driveway past the intersection and he stopped me because he said that I didn't merge over in-time (which was completely BS because I travel on that same road everyday for the past 9-10 years and I've made that same move countless times, never to have been stopped by the LEOs....which I've seen camp out at that spot before).

Please advice on the best way to fight/contest this ticket. Thanks.

FYI.....I'm located in Southern California (Los Angeles County). Department was the LAPD.

Newcomer

I'm not in your state so this is generic advice.

I'd contact the court and find out if a prosecutor will be available for you to talk to before the hearing. (You might have to plead not guilty at the hearing, or you might have to plead not guilty before by sending the ticket in. I don't know how it works in your jurisdiction.)

When I talk to the prosecutor, I'd ask about a plea without points. (I'm assuming that this is a violation that carries points, and therefore higher insurance costs, but don't know.) If it's possible, to dump the points, great.

It they won't take pleas to something more favorable, you have to plead not guilty, offer your testimony and question the cop. That could be successful if the cop really doesn't care and doesn't really remember what happened. or unsuccessful if it's your word against the cop's. Guess who the hearing officer will believe.

Quote Originally Posted by left4dead View Post
    Is it recommended to request an extension or to contest the citation immediately? Also should I take pictures of anything (ie the posted sign, the broken white line on the turn lane, etc)?

In a nutshell, I was ticketed for failing to turn right on a "turn-only" lane. I was driving down a 3-lane street and before a major intersection, the right furthermost lane becomes a "turn-only" lane. There is a posted sign telling cars to merge left if they want to proceed ahead in traffic and right before that lane becomes a right-turn lane, the white line is "broken" allowing cars to shift over.

There was an LEO parked in a driveway past the intersection and he stopped me because he said that I didn't merge over in-time (which was completely BS because I travel on that same road everyday for the past 9-10 years and I've made that same move countless times, never to have been stopped by the LEOs....which I've seen camp out at that spot before).

Please advice on the best way to fight/contest this ticket. Thanks.

FYI.....I'm located in Southern California (Los Angeles County). Department was the LAPD.

Professional

Last edited by speeddemon; 09-20-2011 at 11:28 PM.

Professional

I don't know how fighting citations in California works but someone here should as there's a good amount of Cali drivers on here. However, I don't think you could request an extension to the citation without first setting up a court hearing.

Check your state traffic statutes as well as the Los Angeles traffic ordinances to see how the law is written for the violation that you allegedly committed. I would suggest that as the first thing to do since these regulations will tell you exactly how the law describes turn-only lanes.

Also it may be worth checking the MUTCD (Manual of Uniform Traffic Control Devices) to see where the turn-only sign is categorized in that manual. Whether it's a regulatory sign or something else and how the manual defines where the sign should be used.

That's really all I can generally suggest though... anything else like taking pictures would depend on how things work in California.