Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: vacation rant

Lead Foot

Default vacation rant

So just got back from vacation today, mostly I65. I really tried to not get pissed but I cant help it. I know you have all experienced the following but I wanted to rant. Basically WHY to the following:

Keep right except to pass. I did see a lot more of these signs recently, however I saw a bunch of the "slower traffic keep right" also. Pretty useless as most dolts going 73 in a 70 think "im not slower traffic" and therefore dont move. Jeez if people would just follow this rule...This is my #1 pet peeve. I want to start a media coverage event or something on this. Why dont people just do it???

Go with the flow. If you are doing 55 in a 70, you are going to cause an accident no matter what lane you are in. Period.

It amazes me how many people - with 2 or 3 lanes in my direction - stay in the far left 2 lanes, the right lane(s) completely open. WHY? I guess i should be glad they left a lane open to pass 100 of them but i dont get it.

The guy (gal) who stays in the left lane while 25 of us pass on the right, we give a dirty look, then pull quickly in front of him (her) on the left. But he (she) doesnt get it... I actually had one LLB in AL that looked up at me in the RVM, the pointed me at the right lane. All while we are passing a sign saying "keep right".

No one in front of me in the left lane, no one behind me. Im moving pretty good, i swear i get right there and instead of waiting 5 seconds for me to pass they decide to pull in front of me and go 71 in a 70.

Taking 5 minutes to pass a vehicle instead of just stepping on it for 10 seconds and getting it over with.

Attaching to the side of a semi. Not only is this rude as hell to block the lane, but it is dangerous as hell. They cant see you in their blind spot, a tire blowout is going right through your window, hell the guy may be tired, may have to maneuver, it's just stupid.

People stopping on on-ramps...

Theres more I'll add later. Frustrating as hell.

ADDED: the guy (gal) who cant pick a speed. Or speeds up just because you passed him (her). Had a guy for about 150 miles would go from 75-90 mph at random. if at that second he wanted to go 90, tailgaed me like hell. Of couse you let him by, goes back down to 75...

People who speed aimlessly. You would think if they see the car with the RD, trapster in the window, and CB antenna suddenly slow down or do a nose dive for no reason, they would take notice. Nope, they give me the dirty looks (yes I get over to the right).
    Last edited by Super Dave; 06-25-2011 at 10:28 PM.

Lead Foot

Default Re: vacation rant

I feel your pain on every count.

Ever pick up a corner-clinger who, as you pass him, wants to hang right off your rear corner for miles? It's like they don't want to think enough to pick a speed for themselves, so they fixate on your car. Of course, a lot of times as you're passing someone they seem to want to speed up until you get some magic distance away from them. Zombies.

Good Citizen

All good points. All violations I see everyday.

For trucks Ohio seems the worst. As soon as you approach they swerve over and block you for miles just to pass another truck going 1 MPH slower.

I think most people think they are enforcing some form of rules of the road by inhibiting traffic.

Professional

I see this $hit EVERYDAY! And I feel your pain man.....

Lead Foot

Quote Originally Posted by johndetroit View Post
    I think most people think they are enforcing some form of rules of the road by inhibiting traffic.
    I used to work with a guy that thought just like that. He'd say "The sign says 55!" so he could justify putt-putting in the left lane. I pointed out that "The other sign says slower traffic keep right." He didn't care one wit. Dumbass.

Power User
    South Central PA, where the Walmart has hitching posts

Quote Originally Posted by WDG View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by johndetroit View Post
    I used to work with a guy that thought just like that. He'd say "The sign says 55!" so he could justify putt-putting in the left lane. I pointed out that "The other sign says slower traffic keep right." He didn't care one wit. Dumbass.
    My very own uncle once admitted to me that his SOP on the Ohio Turnpike was to set the cruise at 73 and park in the left lane, and "if anyone wants go faster they can go around."

I truly believe that the speed limit is the greatest threat to safety on the highway. If the slowasses of the world didn't have the speed limit supporting their slothfulness, we'd see a lot less passive-aggressive behavior out of them.

What's safer, going 85 MPH alone, or going 63 MPH stuck in a pack of vehicles all driving 20 feet apart from each other because nobody seems to know knows what a safe following distance is?

Lead Foot

Thats what bothers me the most - there are stupid ones that just dont know any better, but the worst are the ones doing it on purpose. These are the same type of selfish people that purposely screw up the system, I dont know why. Their counterparts:

The ones in the self checkout that have no idea what they are doing and this one person screws it up for 10 behind them - and take their time because they dont care.

The ones who get in the grocery line, bank line, any line and have nothing prepared when they get to the register and are digging for money, checks, cards, whatever. Again what do they care about the people behind them.

The ones who let their kids destroy and terrorize the restaurant, store, etc and disturb everyone else (yes I have a little one and they dont act like that in public- if they do I remove them from the scene and we have a talk).

I mean you dont walk down a sidewalk or a mall and block others from going around you if you want to take a liesurely stroll. Why do it on the highway at 65 MPH with a 2 ton piece of machinery...

You get the idea - selfish and inconsiderate of their fellow human being at all costs. I do believe in kharma though...

Lead Foot

Quote Originally Posted by Super Dave View Post
    I mean you dont walk down a sidewalk or a mall and block others from going around you if you want to take a liesurely stroll. Why do it on the highway at 65 MPH with a 2 ton piece of machinery...
    I've noticed that a whole lot of people walk like they drive, or vice-versa: Oblivious to everyone around them... Taking up as much of the available space as possible... Weaving all over... Nearly running over others to get where they've JUST NOW decided they want to go. Pretty much the same things they do on behind the wheel. THESE are the true menaces of the roads.

Good Citizen

It makes my blood boil when a trucker rides for miles right beside another truck BELOW the f'ing speed limit. The problem is the world is full of idiots that can barely function. That's why they sit in the left lane with a blank look on their face. I love cutting in a little early just for a wake up call.

Newcomer

Quote Originally Posted by gotwake View Post
    It makes my blood boil when a trucker rides for miles right beside another truck BELOW the f'ing speed limit...
    Lol! Makes me wish I carried anti-tank weapons.