View Poll Results: What is your sweet spot for freeway driving?

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • PSL +5

3 6.67%
  • PSL +10

10 22.22%
  • PSL +15

18 40.00%
  • PSL +20

5 11.11%
  • PSL +25

4 8.89%
  • PSL +30

2 4.44%
  • 100 and over!

3 6.67%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Speed Demon

Default Re: What is best speeding speed on freeway?

Quote Originally Posted by Freebird View Post
    I like to cruise at about 80 MPH as long as traffic flow permits. Faster than that sucks too much fuel in my ride. On my motorcycle 75-80 feels great and still nets 55 MPG.
    Fortunately I have free gas! I'm averaging in the low 20's MPG on the highway. The couple times I controlled myself for a full tank to see what MPG the car got it was getting over 30MPG on the highway at "normal" freeway speeds. But heck, the 33% higher fuel use is offset by me spending less time on the road so I have more productive office time. So in the end maybe it balances out.

Mobile Installer

when i see a crownvic i follow rite behind it at same speed.
    Radarrob is a approved radar detector and Parking sensor installer Anywhere in the United States.Has access to Radar and Lidar Guns to test systems.Need Help Choosing a Radar Detector or parking sensor for your needs? Visit my Install Thread:

http://www.radardetector.net/forums/...installer.html

"I'm interested to see how well you do.I never seen a car JTG before would be a first for me.."

Professional

Ideally I like to be going between 80 and 95, depending on road conditions my goal, and my mood. The good mileage in my car starts to fall off at 90, and triple digits are too risky for me.

If conditions are right and I want to make good time, 95 all the way.

Speed Demon

Quote Originally Posted by radarrob View Post
    when i see a crownvic i follow rite behind it at same speed.
    No way! Seriously? I've always wondered if a CHP didn't have any emergency lights on, and was going in excess of the PSL, how long it would take for him to write you up if you were pacing him? I'm sure someone must have tried it?! Any care to share what happened? I have a feeling you would get written up pretty quickly. Anyone know the legality of CHP driving in excess of the PSL when there is no emergency? If it is illegal maybe we can follow the lead of Jimmy Justice in NY and start filming CHP in CA speeding.

"What are you going to do? Bite me with your gold tooth?" I love Jimmy!!!

‪JimmyJustice4753's Channel‬‏ - YouTube

Lead Foot

As fast as you can go without getting pulled over is the best speed ;-)

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by NETWizz View Post
    As fast as you can go without getting pulled over is the best speed ;-)
    It does not take much for these money grabbers to pull you over.

Power User
    South Central PA, where the Walmart has hitching posts

Since I had to choose I voted for 15 over. Here that's 80 in rural areas and 70 in urban areas, which is usually compatible with the prevailing speed of traffic and seems to be what I do most of the time. It's fast enough to make a difference but slow enough to not attract too much attention and it provides a little more time to look for cops and slow down if necessary. I'm not saying that I never go faster, but it depends on traffic, my familiarity with the road and dozens of factors that affect safety (physical safety, not from cops). Usually if I try to go 20 or more over I just spend more time waiting for people to move out of the way and it doesn't really make a difference, but it does cause noticeably poorer fuel economy.

I do think it's sad that I even have to worry about going 80, which is the actual freeway speed limit in other civilized countries.

Professional

PSL on most roads is 70. I keep it there or 5 over max. I drive a Tahoe... any faster than that, I can actually watch the fuel needle move...

Speed Demon

I'm surprised; seems like I'm out on the edge of the bell curve at +30... Yet I really wonder if I'm not at a higher risk for a ticket if I slow down to closer to +20 over (85 MPH) as the CHP regularly drives around +20 over PSL. With the V1 I have better warning of what is behind me but if they are just pacing you then the RD won't help. Not sure from how far back they can pace you. Often everyone here is doing 80 in a 65 zone so the CHP can basically pull over anyone on large sections for the freeway.

PSL +28 if the road is flat and straight and I can see far enough ahead to where I/O would not be a legit threat. PSL +30 can earn you a trip to jail and reckless charge here, so I leave a little margin for error, and I/O is rare here anyways as most cops where I drive use C/O Ka. If I can find or create a rabbit (generally look for obnoxious looking pep boys special ricers that will attract attention and think they are trying to race me), then I'll go however fast the rabbit goes but at a decent distance.