Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Experienced

Default Re: What is The Average Over-The-Speed-Limit Threshold?

Quote Originally Posted by comno6 View Post
    This is disgusting!
    I agree. Just wow! That's insane. They wonder why people snap, get a gun, and take out the trash.

FWIW all the schools zones I see around here are 20MPH.

Good Citizen

Virginia is really goofy. Our speeding laws are really strict but average highway speed is no lower than other states I've lived in. Cops here on the highway don't give a **** unless you're going 81 or +20 in a 55. Local roads vary but most departments around me can't afford radar for 80% of the cars anyway (Henrico, City of Richmond, Chesterfield).

Professional

PSP is required to give 5 over...non-PSP police officers are required to give 10 over, except in certain circumstances, mostly school zones, where only 5 over has to be given.

PSP generally gives around 15 over before even flinching. Unless you have issues or are going extremely fast, most of the time you end up with a very basic traffic citation with a small fine and no points though - not a speeding ticket. This varies across the state though, as every troop works differently.

Locals *generally* give around 13 over, but it depends on the officer and the detail. Officers just working their regular shift might give 15 over, while officers working a speed detail might only give 12 over. Every department, and every officer is different...and it also depends on the roads they have.

Locals patrolling school zones are generally strict, giving 7-8 over before stopping, and sometimes even citing at that speed. 11+ over in a school zone will almost guarantee you a citation...also, PA allows the officer to choose the fine (anywhere between the regular speeding fine for that offense outside of a school zone, all the way up to $500) so the cost of the citation can be much higher than any other speeding offense.