Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Good Citizen

Default Ways, other than counter-measures, to protect yourself against a ticket.

Fair topic. You have can have the best counter-measures money can buy, but if you drive like an idiot, you're asking to get busted.

Of course, the most obvious method of not getting ticketed is not speeding, but lets for the sake of argument, say that you do speed. What are some methods/techniques that you use to keep out of trouble?

One of my tricks is taking it easy through a construction zone. Usually, only +5, rarely +10, because in my state, since speeding fines are doubled in construction areas, +10 might be enough to generate interest from a LEO.

Discuss.

Lead Foot

Default Re: Ways, other than counter-measures, to protect yourself against a ticket.

If we are on the forum, I qualify us as highly experienced people when it comes to that. Some places are just screaming SPEED TRAP so if you identify those you will be fine. Other than that, rabbit rabbit rabbit, look for brake lights way ahead, flashing lights, etc.

Few examples: 2 lane highway than becomes 4 lanes for a few miles screams LASER. You approach a U-ball dirt road in the median screams off-axis radar.

You get to know the spots and what LEOs do in your area after a bit. When you travel in unknown territory, only speed with a rabbit. At a FAIR distance, not 5 cars length behind. If you hit a big laser operation, you will be in trouble in you are too close to your rabbit.

If you use those techniques, I bet you can drive just like normal without RD and be fine. The RD is just extra security IMO and curiosity for me as I want to know what they are using.

Speed Demon

Default Re: Ways, other than counter-measures, to protect yourself against a ticket.

Don't speed at night. I/O at night can be very deadly.

Good Citizen

Caution where there are trees in a center median fav spots for leo's. Caution when coming over a hill. I always check the traffic when passing a on ramp for leo's entering the interstate. Another spot for leo's is under a underpass or in front of it on the side. If there's no traffic in front and a leo's using instant on guess who's gonna get shoot. Other then a rabbit as long as there's traffic way down in front you can find instant on before It gets you. Its harder to spot leo's at night. Now should I mention my getaway skills?

Good Citizen

Stay out of the left lane as much as possible and watch the cars brake lights ahead of you. If you see them brake for no apart reason you know they just drove by a LEO who is obviously trying to hide. Question, does anyone still flash the oncoming cars for traps? I still do but rarely have it done for me. The past several traps I have driven into on 95 NJ/MD and VA. No one has flashed me warning me. Has this practice gone away? People don't care about others? Just my .02

Radar Fanatic

Waze.com would of probably of notified of cop in construction zone.

Newcomer

Quote Originally Posted by NormSky View Post
    Waze.com would of probably of notified of cop in construction zone.
    The Waze app has been very useful for my long commutes. Very seldom is a LEO not identified on my interstate routes.

The most pullovers I've seen on my daily commute are weavers I've watched thread the needle and aggressively pass on the right.

Speed Demon

I've found that one key ingredient for me to avoid tickets is to remove the following from my MP3 player:

* Shoot to Thrill-Thunderstruck-et al from AC/DC
    * I Can't Drive 55 (got my last ticket because of this one)
    * NFS3 soundtrack
    * several others

So if you see a red sportbike go by with the Captain & Tennille's Muskrat Love playing...you'll know that there's no need to even bother shooting radar at it...it'll be well under the PSL.
    However, if you hear Loverboy's Notorious..don't even bother chasing if you're not in a Murcielago squad car...just pick up the radio mic.

Lead Foot

This is really old (like 1991) but I remember reading it then - check it out

Ten Best Tips for Fearless Flying

Should be a sticky!
    Last edited by Super Dave; 08-06-2012 at 08:41 PM.