Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Good Citizen

Default Re: Flagrant Speeding - Why Do You Do It?

So you would rather jump out then to ride with me in a 03 corolla at 80?

Experienced

Aahhh, no. If the highways are filled with speeding nuts, I'd rather stay at home all comffy in my bed - watching the wrecks on the news

Speed Demon

Ah...we agree,I'd rather you stayed home,too...& off the hwy.
    Last edited by RedRocket; 04-24-2014 at 02:28 PM.

I am all for personal freedoms and fully willing to honor your decision to drive at any legal speed. So long as you keep right. My very biggest complaint is that speeding laws are enforced while 'failure to keep right' laws are apparently Never even considered. It just amazes me that people will park themselves in the left lane and sit there no matter what goes on around them. I call them Lane Owners. <g>

PHM
    ------

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Q View Post
    Seven years ago I drove out to NM from MA on several interstates and never did over 65. 2 years ago I drove back the same route and again never did over 65. On the way out I drove from 5AM to 12 midnight each day and on the way back made the trip on the same schedule. Never had anyone tailgate or blow horns at me going this slow - they just went around me with no problems. Some cars and 18 wheelers were doing up to 75 but they wern't any problem going by me. So from these two trips, driving this "slow" was never a problem, unlike some claims I read on this and other forum sites.

I do it primarily because I enjoy it. Secondarily I drive fast because I feel that I am able to best determine the best speed-for-the-conditions for myself and my vehicle of the moment. And "drive fast" is not really saying it well as I am just as willing to drive under the posted limits if I feel that conservatism and prudence dictate it at the time.

I am substantially convinced that speed limit laws exist primarily as a revenue generator and only glancingly, if at all, as a safety measure.

The US interstate highway system was designed for a sustained 70 mph speed. But also; for a 1947 Ford sedan type of car. Which bears Very little resemblance to the handling and safety characteristics of almost any car presently being built. Nonetheless; we still have 55, 60, and 65 mph speed limits in place. Probably just trying to make me safe, eh? <g>

PHM
    -------

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Q View Post
    I mean habitual speeding more than 10 mph over any posted speed for both secondary and highway roads. It makes no sense to me why so many people do it so perhaps you that do can enlighten me?

My Right to Travel Freely. The wrecks that are caused by inattentive drivers or driver are what we all want we all want to avoid and the tickets for speeding is just the off fall. Staying out of the way of the LLH,break checks, tail gaters, texting, phone conversations, and other non attentive motorists that occur in the pack is my reason. If it takes 10+ to secure a safe position out of harms way ahead of the pack than that is what is necessary. Good CMs allow this practice for me. I am safer clear of the pack than in the middle, I do not control the vehicles around me or know what kind of day the other motorists are having, so steer clear of these potential problems with a little extra weight on the right foot when the opportunity is presented. Safety in numbers(the pack) is not a true statement on the roadways. Distance yourself from trouble is.
    Last edited by BrownOut; 12-04-2014 at 06:56 AM.

Speed Demon

Quote Originally Posted by BrownOut View Post
    My Right to Travel Freely. The wrecks that are caused by inattentive drivers or driver are what we all want we all want to avoid and the tickets for speeding is just the off fall. Staying out of the way of the LLH,break checks, tail gaters, texting, phone conversations, and other non attentive motorists that occur in the pack is my reason. If it takes 10+ to secure a safe position out of harms way ahead of the pack than that is what is necessary. Good CMs allow this practice for me. I am safer clear of the pack than in the middle, I do not control the vehicles around me or know what kind of day the other motorists are having, so steer clear of these potential problems with a little extra weight on the right foot when the opportunity is presented. Safety in numbers(the pack) is not true statement on the roadways. Distance yourself from trouble is.
    ^ - Amen !

Radar Fanatic

Anyone ever wonder what happened to MrQ?

Nah, me neither..

Speed Demon

Quote Originally Posted by upstatedoc View Post

Nah, me neither..
    heh,heh,heh - never a thought till it got brought up.

Professional

Quote Originally Posted by upstatedoc View Post

Nah, me neither..
    He last logged in around Thanksgiving...nothing since then.