• Login:

Newcomer Array

Default How accurate is radar at singling out a specific vehicle?

I received a ticket for speeding a few weeks back and about to go to court. The officer passed me (unmarked) and was about 250-350 yards behind me before my radar detector went off. There were two vehicles directly in front of me in either lane. Can I argue he couldn’t get an accurate aim at that distance while driving his own vehicle?

Is radar accurate at that distance to distinguish between 3 vehicles?

Thanks for any feedback!

Professional Array

Default Re: How accurate is radar at singling out a specific vehicle?

the radar is not completly accurate in detecting which car was doing what speed. The laser is much more accurate and it requires the officer to remain stationary.

When he shoots it lets him know what the fastest speed was. Its up to his choice based on his observation on which car was moving the fastest.. Althought i have been told that ther newer gun can display upto 2 speeds...but i am not sure about this

i am kinda confused on your location. Did he overtake you or did he pass you on the opposite side and then turn around. Seems like he used instant on....

LI Dual Ver. 8
    Valentine V1 (Saves 25/25)
    Valentine V1 CD
    Cheetah Gps Mirror and V1 integration
    Nuvi 650 w/ Trapster
    Uniden pro 520 XL cb Radio w/ Lil Wil Antenna

Newcomer Array

kennethmiranda, thanks for your prompt reply!

I wasn't so clear, sorry. It was a 4 lane road and he passed me going in the opposite direction. When I heard the radar, I looked for a car and a few seconds later noticed him turning around behind me.

So by your reply, I can see how it might be hard for me to argue he couldn't determine it was me based on the fact that he probably observed me being a greater distance from the cars ahead of me and then being much closer to them.

Power User Array

Stalker DSR 2X Direction Sensing Police Radar

• Rear Traffic Alert Warning
    • Simultaneously Measures
    2 to 4 Targets
    • VSS Patrol Speed Mode
    • Direction Sensing Technology
    • Automatic Same-Lane Tracking
    • Stationary Direction Control
    (Closing, Going Away, or Both)
    • Strongest & Faster Targets
    Are Simultaneously Displayed
    • Strongest & Faster Targets Can Be Individually Locked
    • Voice Verification of Locked Targets
    • Stop Watch Mode
    • RFI Immune Digital Antennas
    • Backlit, Cordless IR Remote
    • Detachable, Multi-Colored
    Display
    • True Waterproof Antennas
    • True Audio Doppler Tones
    • Digital Signal Processing
    • Microstrip Antenna Design
    • Software Controlled and Upgradeable

4 Target Zones in Stationary Mode; and 2 Target Zones in Moving Mode
    Conventional moving radar can only monitor traffic in one Target Zone. Now, with the introduction of the Stalker DSR 2X, two moving Target Zones or all four stationary Target Zones can be monitored simultaneously. Stalker DSR 2X is actually two independent radar units operating on a single display.
    In moving mode, two Target Zones can be simultaneously monitored - one front Target Zone and one rear Target Zone. In stationary mode, all four Target Zones can be simultaneously monitored. The direction arrows indicate target direction for both the front and the rear display windows. Or, if desired, only one front Target Zone and one rear Target Zone can be simultaneously monitored.

Measure closing targets while automatically ignoring vehicles that are going away - even if a target moving away is closer than a distant closing target.
    Automatic Same Lane Operation

Provides Voice Verification of the Location, Radar Mode, and Direction

Newcomer Array

<<JAZZY>>,

Wow - amazing! So, I guess I need to find the make an model of his radar detection equipment then so I know what his capabilities actually are. Thanks.

Power User Array

It really doesn't matter how accurate the radar is at singling out a specific vehicle. Its the LEO against you which is not a fair match up.
    R.I.P. Stealth Stalker / Rob Davis Moderator of rdnet 2008-2011 You will be missed.

How did “Radar Roy” Dominate Radar Detector Sales Online When He Never Sold A Single One?

Spoiler: show

Sales came easily. He sold you a persona. He sold “Radar Roy.” He sold an ex-cop and expert. He sold a guy who was nice enough to cross over from being “the man.” He shared knowledge and recommendations directly with his “Perfect Customer.” His message created their “Fantasy Result” of not getting speeding tickets. And oh by the way, if you had interest in buying a radar detector, Roy Reyer’s Radarbusters network of 45 websites would also be nice enough to sell you exactly what you needed. This is how he built the multi-million dollar online empire that totally dominated an industry.

Tom
    Good Citizen Array

Blinder Guy told me that in Florida the speed must be measured at <1000 feet or the case will be dismissed in court. The distance MUST be noted on the ticket as well.

Radar Fanatic Array

Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    Blinder Guy told me that in Florida the speed must be measured at <1000 feet or the case will be dismissed in court. The distance MUST be noted on the ticket as well.

^I think that's laser.
    Past: Vector 985, RX 65, a couple Bel "express" units, ZR3
    Present: X50 Rev 5, 9500ix, SRX, V1 3.864, ZR3, ZR4, LP 905 (Tied to the 9500ix), C100, STi-R

Power User Array

Quote Originally Posted by joshuab View Post
    kennethmiranda, thanks for your prompt reply!

I wasn't so clear, sorry. It was a 4 lane road and he passed me going in the opposite direction. When I heard the radar, I looked for a car and a few seconds later noticed him turning around behind me.

So by your reply, I can see how it might be hard for me to argue he couldn't determine it was me based on the fact that he probably observed me being a greater distance from the cars ahead of me and then being much closer to them.
    Identifying a specific vehicle is based on tracking history.
    ************************************************** **********************************************
    Quote Originally Posted by Swamp
    Those who wish to doubt will always find a reason to doubt regardless of how much evidence is presented, and those who wish to believe will find enough evidence to believe