Experienced

Default which is green which is red (rj11)

I know that rj11 is reversed on each side. I was wondering which side I'm to use. My smartcord got stolen so I figure I'd use this as an opportunity to hardwire. I took off my lighting assembly up top and have a good switched 12V fused source to tap into with a maybe 4" wire. Thanks for any help

edit: also, would it be looking at the plug with the wire going downward

Experienced

I did see that link. And I did know that red is +12V and green is ground. But the problem is that your typical phone wire is crossed over so that the wire colors on the two sides of the cable aren't the same. And in those threads, it says to compare to the original wire provided with the detector to see which one it is. However, I don't have that as a reference.

So I just started trying it out experimentally since I read that if you got it backwards (the polarity) that it simply won't turn on so I just twisted it on and did a quick test. Sure enough, I used the "wrong" end of the phone cable and my green is actually +12V and the red is ground. So I reversed it and the detector fired right up. Now, I have it soldered and taped insulated and it's nicely hardwired up to my map light. All in all, about 4 inches of phone wire .

And for the record, here's the help for anyone in the future who needs to know which it is:

Looking at the phone wire with the plug facing up and the wire going downward:

Yellow, Green, Red, Black.

If you're using the other end of the phone wire, you'll see that the colors are reversed. In this case, the green becomes +12V and the red becomes ground.

But if your's is ygrb, then green is ground and red is 12V.

HOPE THIS HELPS!!

Newcomer

Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by cMags
    That looks the same to me. :?

Experienced

haha they practically are the same. I mean wire is wire and color code is there to help you understand what is what. But in the case that you used the wrong end (like me), you just need to understand the order in which the wires are set out and you'll be fine.

Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by ziddey
    haha they practically are the same. I mean wire is wire and color code is there to help you understand what is what. But in the case that you used the wrong end (like me), you just need to understand the order in which the wires are set out and you'll be fine.
    Now I get it....darn medication....