Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer

Default is this bad for your x50?

Leaving your x50 on, then turn your car off, then start up the car with the x50 on. Is this "not good" to do?

Power User

It should not, but everyone plays it safe, better be safe than sorry. There can be surge when you start the car.

Speed Demon

I remember reading something about this on the forum and people were saying that it wasnt good, but i cant find that thread back. Take no chances , turn it on manualy

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedFreak
    I remember reading something about this on the forum and people were saying that it wasnt good, but i cant find that thread back. Take no chances , turn it on manualy
    I wanted this to be the case with my voltswagon but a few people told me this wasn't good idea because your detector surges power twice during start. I have included the link below.

http://www.radardetector.net/viewtop...070&highlight=

Newcomer

Had mine for over a year now. Never thought of that. Think I'll turn mine on now manually. Thanks

Power User

There was a very detailed thread awhile back last year, I believe member HighVoltage explained in though detail about the cars electrical system and the "surge" that can occur...

http://www.radardetector.net/viewtop...ht=surge#71904

Its possible some vehicle starters are producing a significant back EMF that results in a FVT spike onto the system that the vehicles system isnt prepared/designed to handle appropiately

Good Citizen

Default Re: is this bad for your x50?

Quote Originally Posted by street hawk
    Leaving your x50 on, then turn your car off, then start up the car with the x50 on. Is this "not good" to do?
    IMHO. I have read where the thumb-wheel on/off switch can become worn and inoperative over time from constant usage. From that mechanical standpoint alone, I would leave it on and hardwire it to a switched source on your fuse box, so it powers on everytime you start the car. Sure surges do occur but every bit of automobile electronics should be designed to accommodate that. For instance, do you feel a need to turn your radio off every time you exit the vehicle, etc. As long as it is hardwired, that will always be much better than a cigarette lighter plug slopping around and arching in it's socket.

Professional

well I'm pretty sure manufacturers had this in mind when they designed, i don't think you have to worry about anything

Radar Fanatic

If they were that worried about it, then they probaby would not sell the hardwire kit eh?

I've had my V1 for years never turn it on and off manually, never had a problem.

Good Citizen

That's strange; I don't even know how to turn the X50 off.