Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: High or center

Newcomer

Default High or center

I got my x50 about 4-5 months ago and at that time spent a lot of time on the forum to get a hang of the whole speed thing. Back then ppl seemed to agree that the best place to mount it is in the center of the windscreen unless laser is really big in your area, then go low. Now it seems the official "wisdom" is go as low as possible. Laser is really uncommon in my area but I did get lasered at least once (bike cop under overpass, I was in the fast lane doing 80+, with veil and LS) the x50 went off but I didn't get in any trouble.

So the question would be how much is laser affected if the thing is in the center of the screen (my car is white with a little crome around the grille so...) and how much is radar from the back (or the front) affected if it's at the bottom. My rear window is really narrow and miles from the windscreen. I do want to make the most of laser detection but I don't want to sacrifice too much radar. Thanks in advance.

Power User

Im tunning low now and RADAR range is still pretty good, while I maximize Laser without a Jammer, but I will admit that High gave me MUCH better RADAR range, but during a few Laser test runs it was totally silent..........so if anything id say middle

Lead Foot

For best Lidar detection, mount your RD as low as you can with a clear view. You will still get plenty of warning of radar down there.

If you get a jammer, move your RD high.

Newcomer

k, thanks, I guess I'll mount it a little lower, tried that a couple of days already, not sure but I don't notice a huge radar difference.

Newcomer

the only problem i have with mounting is low is it is in DIRECT sunlight, this means it gets very hot. Wouldnt that make it more possible to get the deadly message SERVICE REQUIRED

Good Citizen

Mr V himself says mount high..................

So the arrow machine is above my rear view mirror..... Which i like anyways for it helps conceal it a bit.

Once it cools down here in this damn state, ill do my stealh instal with the concealed unit....

PS - The "BEEP" above has to do with a system that holds water back... with an "N" on the finish line

Radar Fanatic

Laser beam is very narrow, 18' in diameter (9' radius) at 500 ft and 36' (18' radius) at 1,000 ft (maximum distance they are trained to trigger the laser gun)... so, if you have a front plate measure it up from the middle of the plate to the place you would like to use your RD or, if no front plate, from the middle of your headlights up to the location of your RD... also if you have any other reflective thing (chrome) on your car such as the car logo or any protective bar (for SUVs) they will help the laser gun operator to get a reading on you... best of luck...

Good Citizen

No one ever mentions trucks and higher sitting vehicles. I realized yesterday that my low mount in the truck is really a high mount in a car.

Radar Fanatic

I have mine mounted right below the rearview mirror and I get outstanding detection from my X50. I would try different mounts and see what works best.....

Power User

Quote Originally Posted by Orbital75
    I have mine mounted right below the rearview mirror and I get outstanding detection from my X50. I would try different mounts and see what works best.....

x2, experimentation is for the best, fiddle around and you might come across something you like