1 8.33%
  • Yes but 5-30%

2 16.67%
  • Yes >30%

3 25.00%
    Banned

Default Window tinting and RD performance

Hi all,

I would like to ask you a question. Do you know or experienced any performance changes of RD with a film covered window.

Thanks,

Good Citizen

I've done the test, and no, I have not had any issues with my Tint. Mine is a pure metallic film (Quantum – 20%) and it doesn't seem to affect range / performance.

I can only comment on my own experiences.

To be safe, I would not buy metallic tint again if I had a RD and was in the market to buy tint. However, if you already have metallic tint, I would let it discourage you from purchasing a new RD...

I just added a non-metallic (dyed film) tint strip (5%) to my windshield on the chance of picking up laser scatter. No affect on range so far…

I went to a couple of other sites and found that Madico Charcool and Llumar Premium Dyed Charcoal is a "good enough" quality for thrifty customers who need non-metallic tint.

Banned

Thanks spider for sharing your experience.

Any other comments or experiences. Prof jimbonzzz waiting your comment if possible. I learned that window tinting materials differs a lot and blocks UVH. if so, is it possible for these tinting materials to also block radar and/or laser waves.

Thanks.

Lead Foot

Radar no i dont think it effects it all all...i heard deff laser is effected though..

Professional

metallic tint can affect it, nonmetallic... not at all (radar that is) but both affect laser detection in a negative way

wow, there is a lot of confusion in this thread... most of reponses are based on other peoples thoughts/not facts.

There are many types of window tint... currently most companys are making tint out of "metals", this kind of tint lasts longer and provides a "richer" color.

Now, as mentioned there are many kinds of tint... There is a company called, "Huper Optik" their tint is made out of CERAMIC. So, with such a tint, radar or laser would NOT be affected. The only problem with this tint is the cost, roughly 400-500$ The good/best about this tint is... well, ITS THE BEST. It keeps the summer heat out of my car amazingly... My interior is black, i can leave my car in the sun/beach come back and not burn my ass!

I got my 5 series tinted for $400

There is a cheaper tint made by, "Solar Guard", its the reflector series (no metal), the tint goes for around $200. :P

So, to answer your question/summerize, only tint with "metal" will mess up the radar detector/ end thread

Professional

actually you're wrong about laser detection. Tint still affects it no matter if it's metallic or nonmetallic, according to Mike V himself. Since tints are dark not clear like the windshields they tend to relfect IR light not let it through, that's why it keeps your car cool, it tryes to BLOCK IR LIGHT

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Smith
    wow, there is a lot of confusion in this thread... most of reponses are based on other peoples thoughts/not facts.Now, as mentioned there are many kinds of tint... There is a company called, "Huper Optik" their tint is made out of CERAMIC. So, with such a tint, radar or laser would NOT be affected.

Power User

Huper rules, it cost me 500 bucks to tint my CL (Including $75 to strip old dealer tint) but ITS WORTH IT, my concern for metallic was my car's integrated window antenna

Ive shot a laser through my window and nothing reflects...

huper is the best :!: :idea: