Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Street Lawyer

Default Visual alert vs Audio alert

I was reading the auto-mute thread and it reminded me. Since I installed the LED for my SRX the LED *ALWAYS* lights up before I even *HEAR* a peep out of the SRX, the beep comes about 1 second later. I'm wondering if you get better performance by detecting the laser/radar signal a second earlier or if I'm tripping or what. But I pretty much rely on the LED, it catches my eye, I press mute before I even hear the damn chirp half the times and I check the display to see what kind of signal it is. It's great

Professional

you could be right, I haven't noticed that on mine yet

Power User

on my X50 hardwire kit Alert LED, itll always go LED before audio, in the cases where the contact is picked up weak and increases (MOST cases in every day driving), since the audio alert pulses are so far apart at that strength level, the LED flashes on while the audio is still lagging, thats all I can come up with

Lead Foot
    Austin, Texas/ Greenville, South Carolina

Quote Originally Posted by Arashi666
    on my X50 hardwire kit Alert LED, itll always go LED before audio, in the cases where the contact is picked up weak and increases (MOST cases in every day driving), since the audio alert pulses are so far apart at that strength level, the LED flashes on while the audio is still lagging, thats all I can come up with
    maybe my head is playing games with me, but I could honestly swear that the led also blinks at different speeds for the different bands. I havent really studied it so maybe someone could confirm that this is true.

Speed Demon

TheTexan, that might be true because I never paid any attention to that.

So guys, are you saying we should shut off AutoMute so that the LED visual and audio alert occur at the same time? Or does Automute have nothing to do with it and we won't be able to fix this issue?

Lead Foot

Quote Originally Posted by Synbios
    TheTexan, that might be true because I never paid any attention to that.

So guys, are you saying we should shut off AutoMute so that the LED visual and audio alert occur at the same time? Or does Automute have nothing to do with it and we won't be able to fix this issue?
    automute lessens the volume of the alert after it has gone off on full volume for a given time or number of alert cycles. I think it is the number of cycles because I have always found that it take longer to mute a 1 or 2 bar signal but a 4 or 5 bar signal alerts for a brief time and then mutes out much faster than the 1 or 2. I turned amute off because I hate it when Im trying to track a long distance Ka or K LEO and it mutes it out because then I have to turn the radio down or watch the display and if Im in the city then I just punch the mute button and completely silence it.

Newcomer

well what travels faster light or sound?.....Light does so maybe thats why you see it light up first or maybe its just how its sodered on the board with the paths and what not...

Lead Foot

Quote Originally Posted by Brent27
    well what travels faster light or sound?.....Light does so maybe thats why you see it light up first or maybe its just how its sodered on the board with the paths and what not...
    speed of sound is a little less than 700mph pretty much 1000fps so it takes the sound a whopping .002 seconds for the alert to reach your ear, given the rd is about 2 feet from your head. Your brain doesnt work that fast, you coldnt tell there was a difference even though light is 300,000,000meters/second ad I dont have enough zeros to write out the time it would take to get to your eye, but you get my picture I hope.

Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by TheTexan
    speed of sound is a little less than 700mph pretty much 1000fps so it takes the sound a whopping .002 seconds for the alert to reach your ear, given the rd is about 2 feet from your head. Your brain doesnt work that fast, you coldnt tell there was a difference even though light is 300,000,000meters/second ad I dont have enough zeros to write out the time it would take to get to your eye, but you get my picture I hope.
    About 1/900 000 000s to 1/300 000 000 seconds :wink:

Lead Foot

Quote Originally Posted by SmaartAasSaabr
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTexan
    About 1/900 000 000s to 1/300 000 000 seconds :wink:
    thanks, I spent to much time in physics today learning about relativity I wasnt in the mood to do anymore calculations...