Lead Foot

Default Rear antennas, x50 mounting, and bubble levels

Car: black 2003 Corvette coupe. Currently in there is a V1 @ 3.821 (mounted as high as possible, next to rear-view mirror, and set up with a 5sec automute on K), and an x50 in the center console. They take turns.

Now, the problem is this - while I would ideally mount in the exact center of the windshield, I am unwilling to do so for visibility reasons; that is, I don't want to announce the fact that, well, "HEY! Look what's suction-cupped to my windshield!" The problem with the V1, though, is that the fabric / plastic mount for the driver's side visor mostly obstructs the rear antenna. They're not touching or anything, and I still get rear-arrow alerts, but I have yet to check out any detection differences.

Interestingly, the V1 is perfectly level; the x50 cannot be played with enough to do the same due to its relatively crappy mount. I imagine that doesn't matter, though.

So, does anyone ever find themselves in a similar situation? Did you sacrifice concealment for rear detection, or leave it be?

Advanced Member

You can get mounts for the rear view mirror for the V1 much like Brick made for his volvo

Spoiler: show

Radar Detectors-V1 & BEL v995
    Laser Jammer-Laser Interceptor Quad
    GPS Camera Locator-Cheetah C100
    GPS Nav-Garmin nuvi w/Trapster
    CB Radio-Galaxy DX-949 w/Wilson 500
    Scanner-RS Pro-96

Lead Foot

Quote Originally Posted by crazyVOLVOrob
    You can get mounts for the rear view mirror for the V1 much like Brick made for his volvo
    Yeah, and there's a company that makes them, too - but hanging in the middle of the windshield is a bit more obvious than I'd like it to be.

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Veri
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyVOLVOrob
    Yeah, and there's a company that makes them, too - but hanging in the middle of the windshield is a bit more obvious than I'd like it to be.
    When I see a radar detector in someone's windshield the first thing I notice is the suction cups. The mirror solution does make it more noticeable than if it were tucked up behind the tint line but I think that it's a prety good compromise. I wish I hadn't just sent the thing off to VR. Otherwise I'd post some exterior pics with it installed.