Good Citizen

Default First laser hit with x50 6.1!!

As some of you already know, i travel from Wickliffe Ohio (20 minutes east of cleveland) to toledo Ohio and back for school every couple weekends. I have to take the turnpike along the way. Last schoolyear, i had my cobra and usually got hit with instant on and constant on Ka band, with occasional laser. However, this year, i havent had any radar encounters. In fact, the state troopers are hardly ever out patrolling anymore it seems.

Well last weekend, i was heading back home to wickliffe and as i got near a service plaza (rest area), i got a laser hit. Only problem was, the cop shot me from a 45 degree angle, through his window, so i suppose he may have just been testing. I had already spotted him before he hit me, and i know that he hadnt tried hitting me before that cause my rabbit had a v1 and i saw his brakes go at about the same spot where i was hit with laser. My detector was mounted high, to the left of the RVM. My car is a 2000 Camaro. Its navy blue metallic, so its dark. Its a pretty low car, and would probably be very stealth if i took the proper laser countermeasures (veil, jammer). However, im a poor college student.

This is what i have done to hopefully fight laser for these trips since it seems like this is all im gonna encounter from now on unless weather doesnt permit.

I put my x50 low on the windshield, still above the wipers though, with a clear view. This brings it VERY close with level to the front bumper since the design of the body is very sleek and low (much to my advantage i assume). The car has a factory grill that is flat black. I used to have it off the car, exposing the bumper and its factory color which could probably get a laser reading. Today i put the factory flat black grill back on, in hopes that if the cop aims for the front of the car, he will hit that and not be able to get a reading. I'll attach a pic of how it looks with it off and with it on.

This was a long post so if its confusing, just ask and i'll try to answer your question. What i really want to hear from you guys is your thoughts on my attempts at a poor mans laser countermeasure. Obviously its not much of anything, but i hope that it is better than having it the way it was. I'd like to think that if he aims for the front, he wont getting a reading, my x50 will pick up the shot, and i can slow down in time before the leo does get a reading. (its a long shot, but i cant afford veil or a jammer now). Im gonna save up for a can of veil however for my fogs and headlights, but i wont be able to get that till after christmas.

Opinions please... please dont rag on me, im doing what i can right now.

Heres a pic with the grill on
    http://www.cardomain.com/member_page...38_21_full.jpg

And with it off *NOT MY CAR in this pic* (however this is how mine looks with the grill off. Just imagine it in the color of my car as seen in the above pic)
    http://www.cardomain.com/member_page...43_20_full.jpg

as you can see from the last picture, having the grill off gives leo's much more area to aim for since im sure they could get a reading from there.. do you think having the grill on will help? As well as having the x50 low to alert me in hopes that they dont get a reading the first time?

Yoda of Radar

Yeah the X50 is a solid 2nd when it comes to laser, its really good, with very few falses... but then again just like with any detector (even the V1), it more often a ticket alert then anything.

Nice to hear you are enjoying your X50.

That is a nice car, with some Veil for those lights up front and the X50 you could have some time to scrub off some speed, even without a jammer (that is until you get one)... now I wouldn't bet on it, but you certianly have a good car for use with LIDAR countermeasures.

Good Citizen

no one else has anything to add??

On my drive back to cleveland this past weekend, i was the only one on the road at a particular point (on the turnpike) and i got a laser hit, followed by a second laser hit. I was pretty close to the cop, perhaps he didnt get a reading the first time and thats why he shot again?

Good Citizen

I think putting the flat black grill back on was a good idea. It looks less reflective than the paint. Even though paint is dark, it has clear coat over it which is somewhat reflective. As AirMoore stated, Veil would probably help. How much it helps, I don't know. There seems to be a debate over in the Veil forum about the effectiveness of it:
    http://www.radardetector.net/viewtop...er=asc&start=0

I have a black Mustang GT and put Veil on my headlights, but have as yet to be hit by LIDAR to test the effects. From what I've read, both of our cars are ideal for Veil, but I've also read that some LIDAR devices, particularly the Laser Atlanta, are not hindered much by Veil. A laser jammer would be better, but I understand the financial constraints to getting one. I'm in the same boat.

Good Citizen

yea... laser is rough...

its all i've been getting hit with on the turnpike now. I drove to cleveland and then back here to school at toledo again last thursday/friday. I had my cb with me, and got all the "bear" sightings from the truckers. Every cop i saw, i heard about over the radio, so i was already going the psl around those mile markers, but i got some laser hits again. Funny thing is, the troopers shoot from inside their car, with the window up. their parked perpindicular to the road on the median, so that they are shooting out the passenger window. i think im gonna have no choice but to save for a jammer if i want any trustable resistance to laser...