Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: X50 Rev 5

Experienced

Default X50 Rev 5

Well, it's been a while now that I've had the X50 Rev 5 coming from I think a Rev 3 (it died). I just have to say I'm impressed. The older revision got far more false alarms and the range appeared to be less. I can now drive around Phoenix with far far less false alarms then I did before. I'm not sure what they changed, but it works wonders.

Just wanted to share that bit. In my opinion comparing the old X50 to the latest one is night and day. Anyone else have a Rev 5 (or above)?

Better yet has anyone else gone from an older model to a newer one?

Ohh I also have had POP on the entire time and have not got a single false alarm. Well, it's not gone off at all, not that I expected it would.

Lead Foot

You're a fortunate one regarding that POP detection, everytime I have come across a cobra radar detector, it falses like crazy. I'll do a video of it sooner or later when I get some free time showing you if you want to see it.

Lead Foot

That is so true. My sister has a Cobra and whenever we drive somewhere in separate vehicles my RX65 constantly goes off with POP. In fact POP on my RX65 maybe a better RDD than the old VG2 now. :shock: I am getting pretty good at figuring out which car has the detector that is setting off my POP. The only reason I have not turned POP off is that some quick trigger Ka band shows up as POP sometimes. One time it saved me from an almost certain ticket (25 mph over the limit) even though I was in an area that does not use POP radar guns.

Experienced

Hmm, I wonder why I have yet to have it go off. It's not like I'm not around other cars, it's Phoenix after all.

Guess I'll see.

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by jbird
    That is so true. My sister has a Cobra and whenever we drive somewhere in separate vehicles my RX65 constantly goes off with POP. In fact POP on my RX65 maybe a better RDD than the old VG2 now. :shock: I am getting pretty good at figuring out which car has the detector that is setting off my POP. The only reason I have not turned POP off is that some quick trigger Ka band shows up as POP sometimes. One time it saved me from an almost certain ticket (25 mph over the limit) even though I was in an area that does not use POP radar guns.
    I have to wonder if the quick trigger transmissions might still be detected even with POP off, just detected as regular K or Ka. One of you guys with a radar gun care to test this?

Lead Foot

One thing I have noticed, the cobra units get a VG2 alert when you get a POP alert. I've pulled up behind another car on the road and it was going nuts, and you could see the V alert through their rear window.

On another note, if you have tinted windows (10% = blackedout) POP detection won't work from the rear which is really scary to say the least. Had a cop come up behind me, I was doing 5 over, and the cop nailed me with a Ka alert, I could tell it was pop because the cobra unit thats in the car I was in, only gave a Ka 1 alert and then it stopped, good thing I was only going 5 over. If you're going to have tint on and you use a RD, make sure keep your scanning up high, especially at night since window tint can tend to distort the headlights view.

Personally even with the false alerts, I still leave POP on for the 'better safe than sorry' feeling. Most cops around here tend to leave their radar on all the time, so I am glad for that lol but if there ever is a sneaky cop (aka a cop with a brain) then I will be prepaired.

Professional

Quote Originally Posted by compu44
    I have to wonder if the quick trigger transmissions might still be detected even with POP off, just detected as regular K or Ka. One of you guys with a radar gun care to test this?
    Yeah, I thought quick trigger was detected by the regular, NON-pop K or KA already?!

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by nvr2fast
    Quote Originally Posted by compu44
    Yeah, I thought quick trigger was detected by the regular, NON-pop K or KA already?!
    In my experience with the RX65, it alerts to Ka signals as pop, which certainly are NOT pop. For example, I have recieved POP alerts from Stalker units before, and Stalker doesn't even have a POP feature. Nearly every time I get a Ka alert, it will switch to POP alert at least once during the alert.

Professional

Interesting...

I wonder, if I'm trying to pick up photo radar, should I turn on POP too?

Photo radar is contant on KA (34.3) but would it help to have POP on?

Good Citizen

I've decided to turn my POP off after it going off at every cobra radar detector.

My wife has a old cobra RD. I decided to test out what happens when the are close to each other.

Well her cobra got some X band and mine got a Ka 9 on 34.159. Although I didn't have POP on, so I don't know if it would have set that off. I'll be sure to check it out for y'all.

I had it set to USA mode w/ POP disabled, and cobra units were setting off a 33.8 for a second or two, just as if POP was on, but it just said Ka instead. Once I set it back to international mode, I never again had this problem.

Good thing were not going off topic by talking about the RX-65

Here to help bring us back :

The X50 is cool!