Default My X50 didn't go off?? Should it??

I was driving home from Foxboro on I95 north tonight. I had my X50 on "highway". As I was driving along, I saw a cop parked on the right hand side (almost sideway) with his "speed gun" pointing towards my direction. My X50 didn't make a sound at all.. why? Should it? Sorry that I am a new RD user and today is the first day....

Lucky that I was doing around 75mph….

Yoda of Radar

Its a radar detector not a cop detector... his radar unit wasn't on... he may have been using instant on.

As long as you haven't had any service required message on the screen... you are ok.
    Good detector... read up, learn, and enjoy your stay.

I read that it is very difficult to "defend" against instant on. So, if he targeted me, my X50 should go off and I should apply the brake right away (providing that it is safe to do so).......... is that correct?

Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by moochacha
    I read that it is very difficult to "defend" against instant on. So, if he targeted me, my X50 should go off and I should apply the brake right away (providing that it is safe to do so).......... is that correct?
    No, by the time he targets YOU with instant on... your detector is useless, there is no way the detector will alert... you can hit the brakes and slow down before he has your speed.

What you need to do is follow a car at ~1/4mile behind them on the highway, and use them as your rabbit (so the LEO targets them... instead of you.... which your X50 alerts to... and you slow down).

Power User

Quote Originally Posted by moochacha
    Before you hit your brakes, he already got your speed. Radar can get your speed in a fraction of a second and there is nothing you can do unless you follow what AirMoore stated.

Professional