Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer

Default Hardwiring Problem

Hey guys, trying to install my x50 for the first time. I've got it mounted high on my windshield, near the rearview. I've also managed to snake and secure regular (2 line) phone wire from the top of the windshield, down the A pillar and to my fusebox. I've got my wires cut with the green being grounded and the red going into my cig lighter fuse. With this config the radar detector is not turning on, am I using the right wires? When I plug it directly into the cig lighter it runs fine... What am I doing wrong here?

Radar Fanatic

The polarity is swapped on the X50 end of the cord. Look at the original cord that came with the X50 and note the position of the wires. They need to be the same. If they're reversed in the RJ11 plug, (they will be) just reverse the way that they hook up to power (green hot and red ground.)

Yoda of Radar

I hope it didn't fry it...???

Radar Fanatic

I would think that there would be some protection against that. Hope so, for his sake.

Newcomer

I tried swapping the cords and I've used two different phone lines so far, the unit is not getting power from them... However when I plug it into the cig lighter it works fine. =( I'm using a fuse tap on the cig lighter fuse. Hmm, out of ideas here...

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by CyberSEAL
    I tried swapping the cords and I've used two different phone lines so far, the unit is not getting power from them... However when I plug it into the cig lighter it works fine. =( I'm using a fuse tap on the cig lighter fuse. Hmm, out of ideas here...
    Sounds like the fuse tap might be bad. If it were me, i'd just find a wire to tap into and splice in to it.

Newcomer

I tried sticking it into one of the fuse slots and closing the fuse down on it too... Hmm...

Newcomer

Ok, I see what you guys are saying, perhaps I cut off the wrong end of the phone cord in each case. Gonna hit the 24 hour CVS pharmay and get some more black phone line, hehe... Sorry, I think I was IQ tested at around 70 when I was younger. j/k

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by CyberSEAL
    Ok, I see what you guys are saying, perhaps I cut off the wrong end of the phone cord in each case. Gonna hit the 24 hour CVS pharmay and get some more black phone line, hehe... Sorry, I think I was IQ tested at around 70 when I was younger. j/k
    No need to apoligize, we're not all electrically minded. This time, pay careful attention to the wiring pattern of the original plug. For simplicity sake, be sure to keep the same end of the phone line. The all you should need to do is connect the red wire to a 12 volt source and the green wire to ground. If it doesn't work this time, post a picture of how you're trying to hook everything up and I'll see what I can tell you.

Newcomer

That's why this is so weird, I finally busted out the multimeter and the fuse tap is good, getting 12.5 through it. I then attached the probes instead of the clamps and felt the end of the phone line that goes into the x50, sure enough there's 12.5 there too. I've tried green to ground and red to ground, the plug on the end of the phone line matches the pins on the smartplug that came with it...