Good Citizen

Default maximum voltage for harwire?

i just got my hardwire all set up, got sum wires to hide tomorrow, but i have an important question.... whats the maximum voltage i should have running to my X50? it peaked at 14V while i was driving around. i think it said it in the manual but i cant find mine....

Radar Fanatic

14 will be no problem. Most cars are around 13.8 when running.

Radar Fanatic

as long as you have an inline fuse before the detector you should be ok!

i had to do this on my snooper, as the fuse is in the cig plug which you need to cut off! so i just fitted an inline fuse holder, the holder which fits the long tube fuses but i dont soppose it would have mattered if i'd have use a blade fuse!

even if your battery was 24v i cant see that they would be a problem as its a dc ''direct current'' system in cars, and your detector will only draw off the juice it needs and no more!

so there isnt a real risk of blowing it up! the only risk is if you dont have an inline fuse where if the wires cross like they have shafted on something in the engine bay then it will blow somthing! it should just blow the fuse!

Newcomer

The normal auto voltage is 13.8, 14v should be ok but not much over, certainly not over 16v. The fuse will protect against the rd drawing too much current(amps) in case the unit has a short. The fuse will not protect against excess voltage as when the car's regulator goes out, feed excess voltage and the unit will fry. The unit draws only the amperage it needs, not the same as volts.

Speed Demon

Here is what they say in the manual. If the vehicle's voltage drops below 10.5 volts, a low voltage warning is displayed, followed by an audible alert. A high voltage warning is also given if the voltage goes above 16.5 volts. The high-voltage warning is also followed by an audible alert. hope it helps :wink: