Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Newcomer

Default once you POP the fun dont stop......POP in new york

ok so heres the deal, im a college student at suny albany and my car is a ticket magnet, no matter where i go i always end up being the one pulled over. 66 in a 65 with a car passing me at 90 and i would be the one to get a ticket. so i decided i wasnt going to let this happen anymore and figured i would give myself a fighting chance and buy a radar detector, Well i found this site, read practicly every post, watched outruns and jtw's vidoes and now im a radar fanatic. If i had my way i would have every radar detector on the market lined up on my dash, but like i said before im a college student so im not exactly sporting bill gates bankroll, so i have around 200 bucks.

So i was pretty sure i was going to buy a whistler pro 73 and be done with it, but after reading the posts about whistlers and ka, changed my mind, (nys toopers run stalker dual sl ka) so someone suggested buying an older 8500 of ebay, (sorry roy if i had the cash to buy a new x50 it would be from nobody else but you, but between books and tickets, im dumping out the change dish just to pay for gas :roll: ) So i was all set to buy an 8500 when i read some rumors about pop being used in ny :shock: so i did a lil rummaging through some records on the nys trooper budget and sure enough, freshly purschased for 2005 was a bunch of Bee III's, Enforcers, and a few of those lovely Z-35's :x Which considering the size of the state wouldnt be that big of a deal.....except, being at suny albany, my dorm room is about 200 yards from the New York State Troopers main headquaters, offices, and training acedemy, so im thinking theres a good chance i might run into one....

so now what.....buy the 8500 and just hope that the downstate troopers somehow convince the brass to send them all the fancy new guns? or buy a whistler pro that can detect pop but then get a ticket from a stalker dual because of weak ka protection......

now i know why the chineese ride bikes.....

Lead Foot

Default Re: once you POP the fun dont stop......

Quote Originally Posted by Grambo246
    Ahaha good one if you have already 200$ I would save a few more for a RX65 or a X50, Email roy or PM him he will get you a deal + Warranty

I will never say it enuf STAY AWAY FROM EBAY

Newcomer

hahaha ya i figured, i know i should buy a big 3 (you guys have me well trained), but i was holding on to hope that somebody would tell me something like they sent all the guns downstate, or that a pro detects ka like a dream......but looks like im headin to the street corner with a "will work for x50" sign

Lead Foot

"will work for x50" sign
    BWhahaha

you are hilarous, BTW Welcome Aboard

Professional

I own a Pro58 and it has no problems detecting KA with plenty of warning.
    But if it is instant on and you are the only car or the first car it will not matter what detector you have.

Since you have $200 already I would save a little more and buy one of the big 3.
    Contact Roy like LiQuidZ said and see what he might be able to do for you.

Lead Foot

You may want to consider the Whistler Pro 58, Laser Shield, and Veil combination that would cost around $200. This will give you a decent radar detector with POP detection as well as some degree of protection from laser especially if you are really quick on the brakes and/or get targeted at long range. Other radar detectors to consider for around $100 would be the Bel Express 795 and Bel Express 925, but neither of these detectors detect POP AFAIK but each may do a little better on Ka detection.

Yoda of Radar

Default Re: once you POP the fun dont stop......

Not anymore they are buying cars like crazy. Soon China will take over the world :shock:

Advanced Member

Might want to try the BEL 995 or BEL RX55 both great detectors at detecing the NYS troopers but a word to the wise NYS troopers usually give a hard and strict 10mph cushion

Spoiler: show

Radar Detectors-V1 & BEL v995
    Laser Jammer-Laser Interceptor Quad
    GPS Camera Locator-Cheetah C100
    GPS Nav-Garmin nuvi w/Trapster
    CB Radio-Galaxy DX-949 w/Wilson 500
    Scanner-RS Pro-96

Grambo 246> so i did a lil rummaging through some records on the nys trooper budget and sure enough, freshly purschased for 2005 was a bunch of Bee III's, Enforcers, and a few of those lovely Z-35's

could you post this info......? :?

Newcomer

http://www.ogs.state.ny.us/purchase/...820711537p.pdf

heres one instance, its a purchasing memorandum, have to look up stuff like this for school all the time but this wasnt too easy to find, but i guess all my hardwork.....uhh......payed off?........i kinda wish i didnt find it, its like investigating if your wife's cheating on you and when you find the answer.......its she has.........sometimes ignorance is bliss