Newcomer

Default X50 Does its Job!

Well, as it goes, took a trip from PA to Va Beach and back this weekend. Traveled through PA, Delaware, NJ, MD and the "peoples republic of Virginia". Here is a summary of the experience:

1. PA, save with PSP Ka band on the PA Turnpike between Quakertown and Lansdale. I/O with little time to react. Glad that I had a "rabbit". 85mph in a 65mph zone.
    2. Delaware save on Route 113 just north of the MD border on the eastern shore with Del State Police or Local, couldn't tell using LASER. This was my first encounter with LEO using LASER. Had a "rabbit" and thank gawd he was painted. Once he was hit, I had a quick alert and then hit the brakes hard to slow. Then, the RD went nutz!!! If I had no "rabbit" would have been hit for sure. 70mph or so in a 55mph zone.
    3. Delaware encounter using LASER outside his station on the side of the road. Given the heavy traffic, plenty of reaction time was available, however, when this RD unit is hit by LASER, it sounds like and injured hound dog baying for dear life. It makes you jump out of your skin.
    4. NJ save on I295 just south of Trenton with NJSP using X band. Yes X band. This must have been a constant on because I had about a half mile notice and it was a text book RD alert, started out small, gradually got louder, auto mute kicked in then it went nutz. Not like the false X's near shopping centers and hospitals.

Summary, the 8500 x50 is a wonderful tool. While it is not a police detector, when using it properly and with a "rabbit", it can sure help you make good time.

Professional

Would you happen to know what KA frequency the PSP used on the Turnpike?

Newcomer

No I don't. I am running default display. Tried expert once. Not ready for that yet. I have not messed with the frequency display. Sorry bro.

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by mikered30
    Unless someone can confirm otherwise, the PA staties use K band exclusively. There are however, 34.7 Ka speed signs used on the interstates in PA.

J/

Newcomer

You got me thinking now. My last PSP encounter was with K. I do know that the speed signs are Ka and the drones are K. My recollection now is that they were using K. My bad.

Professional

Ok, no problem. There have been unconfirmed reports of KA being used in PA, esp around the Allentown/Philly area.

Newcomer

I traveled through PA this summer and did incounter Ka hits on the turnpike about an hour west of Philly, early in the morning around 830 or so.

Lead Foot

Quote Originally Posted by jerry540i
    Quote Originally Posted by mikered30
    Unless someone can confirm otherwise, the PA staties use K band exclusively. There are however, 34.7 Ka speed signs used on the interstates in PA.

J/
    im pretty sure you are correct.

has anyone else eve noticed how thy hide behind a small hill or something and have the radar out on an "arm" off the back window making the car completely hidden?

could be bad w.o a rd

Radar Fanatic

i agree with the laser alert tone.. it sounds like a telephone ringing i have to put the X50 laser alert as my ringtone.. haha.

Newcomer

Funny thing about X band. I was driving on I-84 in southern Oregon last year. Oregon speed limits are strictly dark ages, 55 on a 2 lane highway that when you cross into Nevada turns to 70, and 65 on the Interstates. I was going around 80 when I was alerted to X band. Since it was X band I almost ignored it. Good thing I didn't. I was getting plenty of warning, to be on the safe side, I threw out the anchor and hauled it down to 65. What I didn't know at the time was there was a red Monte Carlo catching me very fast. (I would estimate at least 90, maybe 100) He flew by, the guy in the passenger seat looked back giving me the evil eye. Suddenly, his whole expression changed. Apparently he saw the Oregon LEO sitting under the freeway overpass. About four or so miles up the road, I passed them, the LEO had everyone out of the car. Never assume X band is no longer in use.