Professional

Default Dirty K Band Instant On

As some of you may know, I'm 17 years old and going on one year of experience of detector use. Never have I seen a dirtier Instant On trap than this one. And never have I (nor my father) been more glad that I invested in an X50.

We are driving home from Houston to Dallas after watching a Rockwall HS playoff baseball game at 12:30 in the morning on I 45 just south of Corsicana. We have a carload full of people in my father's Yukon XL with Jerry Jeff Walker's live album turned up TOO loud. I'm trying to get some sleep to no avail with my head resting on the window and covered with a blanket. I am not really paying attention to where we are, but I can see road construction barrels all over the place, I 45 is down to one lane either direction. Anyway, my father is driving and I can sence that he wants to get home...later confirmed we were doing 85 at the time.

I am about the drift off to sleep to one of my favorite songs on the album, (Desperados Waiting for a Train) when all hell breaks loose. All of a sudden BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP!!! I sence myself being hurled towards the front of the truck as my Dad stands on the breaks. At that moment I look up to my right and see "Corsicana Police" on the side of a VERY well hidden Crown Vic facing away from traffic behind what looks like a custom barricade of barrels effectively hiding the car but leaving a space for the radar to look.

Naturally, I look behind to see what was going to happen next. He didn't even move. I guess he didn't get a reading? I mean we must have been WELL within a 1/8 of a mile when he smoked us. I don't know how we survived. If he didn't get a reading, the fact that our headlights almost touched pavement should've given something away.

Needless to say, we had a conversation piece the whole way home. I asked if anyone else was on the road....and my Dad said "No". I educated him about the powers of instant on and he saw the light.

Good Citizen

maybe he was doing exactly what you were? sleeping with the radar on and when it went off , his seen you guys hit the brakes and thought heck they got the message to slow down and went back to sleep

Professional

Well he was concious enough to pop us when we were in the optimal range to use instant on. Maybe you're right and it was just an accident? Although I wouldnt want to be asleep on the side of the interstate on a saturday night when Bubba is coming home from the bar.

Speed Demon

Default Re: Dirty K Band Instant On

Quote Originally Posted by TexasRed
    as my Dad stands on the breaks.
    That gives me a vivid picture... very funny.

Radar Fanatic

because there wasnt anyone else on the road you got a warning when you were being hit rather like being hit by laser, except you get an advanced warning of radar when fired at cars up the road where as laser is much much harder to get an advanced warning!

so what i think happened is that he tried to get your speed when you were still out of radar range ie you got a warning which allowed you to slow down before driving into radar rage which is about 300 to 400 meters, handheld radar.

Professional

I thought it was appropriate. haha

Professional

Perhaps. I really dont have a clue as to how close we were to the cruiser when it went off, maybe it just seemed closer with all the excitement in the truck!