Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 47
  1. #1
    Good Citizen
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Tampa bay area
    Posts
    104

    Default Escort ticks me off(skrewing us with the 8500 I feel duped)

    I have an Escort 8500 non X-50. Part of the reason I bought it when it was new in Jan of 01 was because it was advertised as "upgradeable for new threats", never obsolete. Well, I Escort today to ask them which firmware version I have and if I should upgrade to "pop" because a year ago this april they told me that they are going to have a pop upgrade available in September of 04. The lady informed me that not only has there never been a performance upgrade for the 8500, but that there are no plans to update it. She told me it was an "engineering decision" not to offer a pop upgrade and that the 8500 will not be upgradeable to KU. I feel as they duped tens of thousands of us who bought the 8500 and that it was merely a technological pit stop en route to the 8500X50. That would be Ok of they didn't advertise it as upgradeable, which was a scam designed to take sales away from the V-1. I would have bought a V-1 if I knew they were lying. At least I could have sent it in for an upgrade without hassle. Anyone else buy an 8500 with the hopes of having it upgraded and feel duped??? I feel almost as if this is grounds for a class action law suit. If they are going to give up on the 8500, Escort ought to offer the 8500X50 to current 8500 owners for the reasonable cost of what they would charge for an 8500 upgrade. Thanks for letting me vent.

    Here is their number if you want to call them and voice your concearn:

    1-800-543-1608

  2. #2
    Good Citizen
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    143

    Default

    I myself bought a 8500 in 2001 but decided to take it back and keep my 7500 not as good as the 8500 but it does hack you off. I know I would be upset the 8500 is not a cheap detector. I see why alot of people are buying V1 and Whistler detectors have heard their customer service for both companies are far better. I just wish Bel-Escort would follow the thier lead before its too late.

    fireant

  3. #3
    Radar Fanatic
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    1,561

    Default Re: Escort ticks me off(skrewing us with the 8500 I feel dup

    Quote Originally Posted by LS1-Camaro
    I have an Escort 8500 non X-50. Part of the reason I bought it when it was new in Jan of 01 was because it was advertised as "upgradeable for new threats", never obsolete. Well, I Escort today to ask them which firmware version I have and if I should upgrade to "pop" because a year ago this april they told me that they are going to have a pop upgrade available in September of 04. The lady informed me that not only has there never been a performance upgrade for the 8500, but that there are no plans to update it. She told me it was an "engineering decision" not to offer a pop upgrade and that the 8500 will not be upgradeable to KU. I feel as they duped tens of thousands of us who bought the 8500 and that it was merely a technological pit stop en route to the 8500X50. That would be Ok of they didn't advertise it as upgradeable, which was a scam designed to take sales away from the V-1. I would have bought a V-1 if I knew they were lying. At least I could have sent it in for an upgrade without hassle. Anyone else buy an 8500 with the hopes of having it upgraded and feel duped??? I feel almost as if this is grounds for a class action law suit. If they are going to give up on the 8500, Escort ought to offer the 8500X50 to current 8500 owners for the reasonable cost of what they would charge for an 8500 upgrade. Thanks for letting me vent. :x
    You know, I'm glad to see you say this... there are so many apologists for Belscort out there who never mention this, but if I recall back when I had an 8500, one of the huge selling points they advertised and folks like Craig Peterson harped on was that it had a software upgradeable motorola chip.... well NEVER HAPPENED!

  4. #4
    Experienced
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Oz
    Posts
    263

    Default

    I've heard this a few times and sorry about that for you. I believe the 8500 was "software upgradable" same as the X50 is now. I presume the reason why you couldnt upgrade to pop is because it has to do with the hardware and not the software. Try to think about it this way. If you bought yours in 01, the V1 has had software and hardware revisions since then that you pay for each time (well after the warranty period) the money that you saved during that time is close to being able to buy the x50. Crunch the numbers of the revisions plus the extra $100 you spent extra for a v1 back in 01 and in those 4 years you could have an 8500 new in 01 and an x50 new in 05.

  5. #5
    Radar Fanatic
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    1,561

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PassportToSpeed
    I've heard this a few times and sorry about that for you. I believe the 8500 was "software upgradable" same as the X50 is now. I presume the reason why you couldnt upgrade to pop is because it has to do with the hardware and not the software. Try to think about it this way. If you bought yours in 01, the V1 has had software and hardware revisions since then that you pay for each time (well after the warranty period) the money that you saved during that time is close to being able to buy the x50. Crunch the numbers of the revisions plus the extra $100 you spent extra for a v1 back in 01 and in those 4 years you could have an 8500 new in 01 and an x50 new in 05.
    Valentine advertises their detector can be hardware/software upgraded for a fee. Upgrading to pop from a pre-pop 1.8 costs $55.

    The 8500 said software upgradeable to handle any future threats... well the future threats came, pop and KU and OBIOUSLY it was not software upgradeable... in fact I belive they never had any intention of offering an upgrade path, since there is no upgrade address, or portion on their website.

    If anything could be software upgradeable, I'd think the pop detection would be... seeing as it is the same frequency, simply a different scan pattern... but what do I know. Maybe software upgradeable to handle future threats means something else.

  6. #6
    Speed Demon
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    The Big Easy
    Posts
    625

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PassportToSpeed
    If you bought yours in 01, the V1 has had software and hardware revisions since then that you pay for each time (well after the warranty period) the money that you saved during that time is close to being able to buy the x50. Crunch the numbers of the revisions plus the extra $100 you spent extra for a v1 back in 01 and in those 4 years you could have an 8500 new in 01 and an x50 new in 05.
    If you bought the best Valentine Research and Escort had to offer in the year 2000, you wouldn't have to upgrade the V1 because it killed the Escort in 2000 and it would probably hang with the X50 today.






    Val 1: X 3.0 K 2.6 Ka 4.0 miles
    7500: X 1.9 K 1.4 Ka 1.8 miles


    That it the difference between the V1 and everything else, you don't have to upgrade it all the time.

  7. #7
    Newcomer
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Cleveland Oh
    Posts
    56

    Default

    I called escort and they told me they did have an upgrade program. They told me I could send in my 8500 and they would give me a whopping 30 bucks towards a new unit. And on top of it their customer service is for the birds. They could give a **** less about their customers

  8. #8
    Experienced
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Oz
    Posts
    263

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BiGeAsYgUy
    Quote Originally Posted by PassportToSpeed
    If you bought yours in 01, the V1 has had software and hardware revisions since then that you pay for each time (well after the warranty period) the money that you saved during that time is close to being able to buy the x50. Crunch the numbers of the revisions plus the extra $100 you spent extra for a v1 back in 01 and in those 4 years you could have an 8500 new in 01 and an x50 new in 05.
    If you bought the best Valentine Research and Escort had to offer in the year 2000, you wouldn't have to upgrade the V1 because it killed the Escort in 2000 and it would probably hang with the X50 today.






    Val 1: X 3.0 K 2.6 Ka 4.0 miles
    7500: X 1.9 K 1.4 Ka 1.8 miles


    That it the difference between the V1 and everything else, you don't have to upgrade it all the time.
    Dang Big do you have this as your wallpaper on your computer. I've seen this multiple times from you. :wink: BTW that's a 7500 they are comparing it to. If you bought one in 2000 would it still be that ugly? Looks like a paper weight I have in my office.

    I remember years ago the cable boxes had this big knob that you had to turn to change the channels and now they're digital. Kind of reminds me of the V1 with that big knob on it that you have to turn.

  9. #9
    Professional
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    928

    Default

    Bel did the same thing with their advertisement as well, they said you would be able to upgrade the 980 and 985 models thru software and they never did as well.
    I know Bel and Escort are the same company now but I think back in 2000 and 2001 when these units came out they were seperate companies?

    I am suprised someone has not filed a class action suit against Escort/Bel over this.

  10. #10
    Radar Fanatic
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    1,561

    Default

    Not only has noboy filed a lawsuit, but what boggles my mind is that many of the Belscort fans defend this practice!

    They say, "hey, I don't mind buying a new one."

    I just don't get it. Because the other brand is more expensive initially, it justifies in their mind that they were duped on a major major selling point of their detector.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. escort 8500 and 8500 x50 difference?
    By mahjong007 in forum Escort
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-30-2010, 09:49 PM
  2. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-07-2008, 05:42 PM
  3. Escort 8500(nt x50) and Escort laser shifter Zr3....
    By vtec4u in forum Laser ShifterPro, ZR4, ZR3
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-02-2008, 08:58 PM
  4. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 07-31-2006, 09:43 AM
  5. Difference beteen the Escort 8500 and Escort 8500 X50 ?
    By bentvalve in forum Radar Detectors - General
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 10-14-2005, 01:20 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •