Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: X50 Rev 5 & 6.3

Lead Foot

Default X50 Rev 5 & 6.3

I currently own a Rev 5 X50 and was given an oppertunity to borrow a 6.3 X50 to compare. I have owned the Rev 5 for about 2 years and am very familiar with its behavior along my 60 mile round trip commute. I have put about 120 miles on the 6.3 and have noticed a few differences between the two. The comparison is not to say that one is better than the other, so please- nobody get their feelings hurt. And really, the first three differences are not a big deal.

The first difference is when using the scanning dot pilot on the Rev 5, the dot begins to move immediately after the power up sequence. On the 6.3, after power up the dot is still for a second, then starts to move. On the fourth pass of the dot it pauses for a couple of seconds then moves constantly from then on. I wonder if this is because of the self calibration test that is performed after power up. However, both units should check themselves each time.

The second difference that I noticed is that the 6.3 will give a LOW VOLT message (when it is warranted) no matter what pilot you are using. The 5 will only give that message (when warranted) if you use the voltage pilot.

The third difference is the usual numbers that are displayed in SPEC mode are different. Those of you who use SPEC mode will notice that there is a set of what I call usual numbers displayed, ie 24.132, 24.140, 24.150, 24.158, 24.166, 24.176, 24.182. Those are the usual K-band numbers displayed on my Rev 5. The 6.3 has its set of own numbers that are different.

Now for the fourth difference, the one that may get some folks going. Most people on here agree that the X50 has what is to be considered excellent ramp up. I agree that it is true on the Rev 5. As for this 6.3, the ramp up (or lack there of) is different. I have only encountered K-band radar (several). This 6.3 does not start out low and ramp up to the solid tone. It starts out at about half then goes straight to the solid tone. Range on a certain K-band door opener (that is very consistant with the Rev 5) is shorter with the 6.3. All of my police K-band encounters have been from oncoming CO and range appears to be shorter. I regret that I have had no Ka encounters with the 6.3.

Those were the differences that I noted between the two. The 6.3 was run in Highway mode. Its build date is 3207. Rev 5 build date is 4105. Again, the purpose of this topic is not to start a S7 vs M4 war. I would like to get my hands on a 6.1 X50 to see if it works like the 6.3. If anyone knows about the 6.1's behavior or has something to add, please do so.

Newcomer

I was experiencing very similar ramp up outcome on my 6.3 It will start low, move to 1/2 then go full with nothing in between.

For kicks I reset the unit yesterday and noticed BETTER ramp up than before, however still not 100% where I'd like it.

All facts aside, I've still been getting ample warning for the ones running C/O

Speed Demon

Default Re: X50 Rev 5 & 6.3

Quote Originally Posted by aradarnut
    Now for the fourth difference, the one that may get some folks going. Most people on here agree that the X50 has what is to be considered excellent ramp up. I agree that it is true on the Rev 5. As for this 6.3, the ramp up (or lack there of) is different. I have only encountered K-band radar (several). This 6.3 does not start out low and ramp up to the solid tone. It starts out at about half then goes straight to the solid tone. Range on a certain K-band door opener (that is very consistant with the Rev 5) is shorter with the 6.3. All of my police K-band encounters have been from oncoming CO and range appears to be shorter. I regret that I have had no Ka encounters with the 6.3.
    That's EXACTLY the difference I see between a non X50 8500 and my 9500i (with ramp up fix). Looks like they have "upgraded" the 8500 to have similar code that the 9500 has.

Speed Demon

I have had the 6.1..Terrible though as I didnt have it long enough to study as It went back the same day..
    Then thats when I found my blue rev 5...
    Im betting the rev 5 x-50 is one of the best detectors today if tuned perfectly(mine performs great still)..
    I also have a rev 3 which seems almost the same as the rev 5, but, Im betting laser and pop isnt as sensitive as the rev 5....Just a hunch....

A friend had a red revision 5 and it was the most sensitive detector I have ever saw!!!
    I tried to get her to give it to me but, she wasnt parting with it..

All x-50's are close enough in detection so, no arguments from me!!! :twisted:

Old Timer

Yea, my 6.1 does act weird like that on some K band encounters (the few that I get.) It almost seems as if it wants to filter out the signal, then realizes it's a LEO signal and goes to full alert, if that makes any sense.

It's mostly Ka around here, so it isn't much of a problem.

As for the voltage thing, there is one thing I have noticed. Both my dad's Bel V965 and sis' V940 are more "prone" to display "Low Voltage" than the X50 is. Every time my dad's F150 is restarted with the V965, it displays "Low Voltage", while when restarting with the X50, it does not display that. I know this comparison didn't include Bels, but I thought this was some how relevant.

I wonder what the ranges for displaying "Low Volt" are for each Rev of the X50, as well as the Bels.

Also, I wonder how different the laser reception is between the Rev 5 and Rev 6.1 and up. I've always thought the newer ones were more sensitive.]

As for the Spec display, Prof Jim has said many times that these detectors are exact when displaying frequencies, therefore there will be a difference in frequencies displayed between the detectors. My X50 and my roommate's V995 report different frequencies, though I think they are off by a consistent number (I think hers reports 100Mhz above mine, can't remember the exact number.)

Newcomer

I have a new rev 6.3 and I had some ramp up problems with K as well. Sometimes it would go from 1 bar to full (plenty of time but still no ramp up). I reset the unit, and I moved it to a lower mount (used to have it above RVM) now it seems to do better...I don't know...

Newcomer

Quote Originally Posted by SuperDave
    I have a new rev 6.3 and I had some ramp up problems with K as well. Sometimes it would go from 1 bar to full (plenty of time but still no ramp up). I reset the unit, and I moved it to a lower mount (used to have it above RVM) now it seems to do better...I don't know...
    yea this has made me worry. cause everytime i get a small kband warning sometimes i freak out and brake a little bit cause from the past it would go to one bar, to full bars in a heart beat when a tx state trooper is sitting on the bottom of the hill. so resetting the unit helps really? and you do this by the city, dim and mute buttons while you turn it on right?

Banned

Apparently the new ramp up flash for the 9500I is what you are experiencing on the 6.3 X50.
    I will quote my 9500I thread as to why I believe the ramp up is they way it is now. That also rules out the GPS idea (didn’t really think it was anyway :wink: )

Just some observations about the updated ramp up:

X & K ramp seams to be almost as good as the X50 but it seems to be a bit more active on fast approaching/threatening radar and ramps up a bit quicker in those cases. Now thats a nice improvement!

1st Radar from a gun can get your speed in the best conditions at approximately a maximum of 3000ft in moving mode, and a maximum 5500ft in stationary mode. In most cases moving radar has about ½ the distance of stationary radar so the reaction from a RD should be different.

There have been reports that when K & KA is moving toward the 9500I it ramps up very quickly (moving mode) and when K & KA is not moving (stationary mode) ramp up seams normal. Allowing a more active ramp up to warn you better against moving/faster threats.

The 9500I seems to be more active in its analyzing radar, the ramp up increases faster when it encounters a fast approaching radar increase (moving radar) over a normal ramp up for (stationary radar). The 9500I does have GPS, so it is certainly possible that it’s analyzing the incoming radar to see if it increasing in a faster rate (moving radar) than what it would if it was increasing at a slower rate (stationary).
    I think the new ramp up is made to react more sensitively to fast approaching radar to produce a slight edge over a slower ramp up on slow approaching radar and has nothing to do with GPS, but anything’s possible.

Also the 9500I adjusts the frequency blocks (usual #s) to optimize and center the lock out point so I would assume the 6.3 X50 has new frequency blocks similar to the 9500I.

MEM-TEK did an example of what the 9500I does when it locks out a false:

Lead Foot

This is one of the reasons you'll only be able to pry the rev 5 from my sisters cold dead fingers I remember asking her jokingly if she wanted to trade back the XM tuner for the X50 and I've never seen her laugh so hard...guess she likes it (also a former cobra owner, ticketed twice ...new owners ticketed once already...ahhh )

Newcomer

corean1786 - yes on the reset - can't hurt to try...seems a little better...