Speed Demon

Default another neat feature on the x50

i like how if you get a full out blast on the detector it stays loud the whole time and doesn't mute out.. pretty sweet!

also, i was wondering about that whole thing were the detector knows common falses like automatic door openers it won't beep loud at all, seems like sort of filter... pretty cool too!

Professional

Default Auto Mute

That's cool if you like that, I find it annoying myself.

Doesn't your 8500 have the same option as the 9500 where you can decide to turn the auto mute feature on or off?

Other than GPS I guess I'm just not sure what the differences are between the 8500 and the 9500, but what from what I've read they seem to be mostly similar other than GPS.

I tell myself all the time I'm not, but I'm such a victim of marketing and advertisement like anyone else.

I can't even begin to tell you the number of electronic devices I've bought in my life because at the moment I had to have it but the next model up offered so much more. It seems every time I kicked myself thinking if I would have only waited a little longer I'd have this or that feature that the next model up offered.

So I refocused my purchases to making sure I always bought the top of the line model with all the features. To be honest with you, what I usually found out was I was paying way more money for features I'd never use in the first place and the lower priced option would have served my needs just fine.

When I first started getting into home and car audio systems years ago it was my breaking point into my current interest of electronics, so it was a good thing I guess. It directed my own interest and motivated me to go to schools to pursue this interest.

I always seemed to being able to afford or buy the model one under all the features I really wanted. It use to drive me nuts, till one day when of all things I bought my first washer and dryer set.

This was when I made up my mind, no matter what, I wasn't going to be a feature short anymore. So I went into Sears and I bought the absolute best Washer with all the features and couldn't afford a dryer because of this. I had the best Kenmore washer available and suffered another month saving up for the matching dryer that also had all the features available.

Funny thing was, when I washed and dried my clothes I always used the same cycle settings that the absolute cheapest Kenmore washer and dryer offered.

Professional

Default Truelock

also, i was wondering about that whole thing were the detector knows common falses like automatic door openers it won't beep loud at all, seems like sort of filter... pretty cool too!
    Sorry I got side tracked thinking about washers and dryers, sounds like what you're referring to here is called Truelock. As far as I'm aware your 8500 does not have this capability, its dependent on the GPS capabilities of the next model up, the 9500.

You've been slightly mislead in your understanding though, the detector doesn't just "know common falses", the 9500i utilizes its GPS coordinates to know where it is at. This is as "smart" as the detector gets. It can not distinguish though between a false or a positive hit, no detector on the market no matter how good or bad or expensive or cheap can do that. Ignore what anyone tries to tell you to the contrary, a Ka 35.xxx gigahertz frequency hit is a Ka 35.xxx gigahertz frequency hit and no detector is going to distinguish this as a false or positive hit, unless of course you have a detector capable of allowing you to tell it this is a false hit.

What the GPS capable 9500i does in knowing its own location is allow you to lockout what you verify and decide to be a false signal. It always knows where its at, if you lockout a signal it remembers the exact frequency that signal was at and where it was. You're 8500 does not have this ability, the expensive V1 some praise around here costs the same as the 9500, but does not have this capability and in actuality of preventing you from getting a ticket does just as well of a job as your 8500 is doing for considerably less money. To get that feature you're referring to though you'd have to step up and get the next model higher.

In my own thoughts, its the rare time I decided to spend a little more to get a better feature and was actually happy I did. I use the hell out of the Truelock feature and would go nuts without it.

Radar Fanatic

eso,
    Take solace in the fact that your clothes came out cleaner and softer in you top flight equipment. LOL. I too have spent alot of hard earned money only to be dissatisfied with my decision. I still am a bit impulsive but that's life. Oh on to the topic;
    Oxygen, esoterica is correct in that the X50 does have the auto mute on or off option. Yours must be off. One thing is for sure, the X50 has among the best filtering/performance available next to the 9500.

Professional

Default Features

There is a definate downside to buying the top of the line models of anything. The more features and stuff they pack into it the more you have that can go wrong with it, and the more expensive it is to get it fixed.

In my own job as a technician I see it all the time where someone has a problem with a high end feature packed piece of equipment and many of the other techs get terrified when it comes time for them to work on it. Its like as soon as they see what they are up against they get stupid, lost and clueless and they'll go to great lengths to avoid it. Myself, I always like the complex stuff, once you have a grasp of it it's usually easier to work on and when it's all electronic not mechanical parts your meter can tell you everything, unlike the mechanical parts were test equipment gets way sided to good guessing.

They always say the sign of a good engineer is a simple working design, not an over complicated one. In my job there's a lot of bad engineers out there then.

Yoda of Radar

Default Re: Features

Quote Originally Posted by Esoterica
    There is a definate downside to buying the top of the line models of anything. The more features and stuff they pack into it the more you have that can go wrong with it, and the more expensive it is to get it fixed.

They always say the sign of a good engineer is a simple working design, not an over complicated one. In my job there's a lot of bad engineers out there then.
    Try to find a car with manual transmission and wind-up windows these days

Old Timer

^ The "and" really catches ya on that one......