Default Poor K & Ka Band Performance on X50

Okay, just got a brand new red X50 and today got a hit on both C/O K and C/O Ka. I only got about a 1/4 mile or less warning on both. Enough to slow down, but just barely.

I have my RD mounted above my RVM.

Professional

There are too many possible variables as to why you consider this as being short range. It's just as likely any detector you may have been using would have had the same range. The important thing is you were given notice in time to slow down. Maybe you used the 9500i before this 8500 and expected to receive the alert in this same area 1/2 mile instead of 1/4, it doesn't matter though as long as you had the alert in time before he could lock your speed. I don't understand why people think of this as a bad thing, to me its a good thing. What's the point of even speeding if your slowing down for an alert 2 miles away, you'll waste more time being in an unnecessary slowed down state than you'll ever make up for by speeding.

Its all a simple matter of getting use to the behavior and expectations of what ever detector you are using. It simply takes time to get use to what to expect from it. Now you know when in that area in the future, when you get the alert its time to slow down. This is a very good practice for you to be in anyhow, it'll save your butt when the day comes that you get hit with IO. trust me, I get hit with IO all the time where I live, when I see even the first glimpse of an alert I immediately slow down and brace myself for a very possible IO hit soon to come. It annoys me slowing down for a single bar alert when in reality it could be 7 more miles before I actually take the hit, but being instantly ready for IO is the only thing that continues to save me from it daily.

It is possible, but not likely you do have an actual problem, either with the detector or the way you have it installed, or even something in particular to your vehicle itself causing problems. I wouldn't worry about this yet based on only 1-2 alerts though. In time if nothing is wrong you'll get a perfect feel for how your particular detector reacts, what to expect from it, and in what areas around where you live you can expect too much range, or very short range. It just takes time though, no way to fast forward yourself around that, once you are use it it though you'll think nothing of it.

Banned

X2,

Just today I got a strong KA alert around a bend, less than 1/4mi warning and just behind a semi there was a LEO running C/O ka moving. The LEO actually turned around and scared the **** out of me, I was thinking he got me.
    When in actuality the semi blocked almost all his KA and the little that got around him barley made it around the curve. the 9500I did a good job even though my heart was in my throat for a few seconds. im sure the LEO was tired of sitting behind that slow moving semi and turned around.

Professional

I love driving around semis when radar is in use, I don't even bother slowing down, I just use the large size of the semi to cloak under.

Power User

Yeah, environmental factors could easily give you that kind of Ka range. That's what really makes a very sensitive detector worth it. In a case you got 1/4 mile, some cheaper detector might get substantially less and be in the kill zone.

Banned

Someone reading previous posts, especially in the V1 forum, could really get confused and possibly think their detector gives poor performance (cobra aside). When you read posts that start out like "I got a Ka detection from 2 miles out" you start to think my detector will be fine, then you come across a situation where it's I/O or some other factor that gives you, what you think in your head, should be "plenty of warning" and it isn't. 1/4 mile of warning would be great, I haven't gotten anything like that yet but then again I'm still learning with a intro RD