Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Good Citizen

Default To use X50 or Not to use X50 in CANADA!

I am driving through Canada. Should I remove my X50 considering that it is illegal to use radar detectors there? I was lasered there once, but I also pick up many K signals. :?

Lead Foot

If you are not going to Ontario.. you should be fine just Disconect the unit when you receive alert 8)

Yoda of Radar

What sections of Canada, it is big country different laws.

When crossing the border, of course put it in the glovebox...

West of Ontario, don't worry much. In Manitoba/Ontario/Quebec pull the plug when you have an alert or see a suspicious vehicle parked on the side of the road or median.

Newcomer

Default Montreal Quebec Canada

Hi I'm from Ste-Adele (around 45 Min from MTL) and I was wondering which radar bands the cops are using in Quebec? Laser? K? Ka? X? PoP? I tried looking on the net but it's a big search area...I have the Bel Pro RX-65. And which have you tested worked better the Highway mode, the City mode or the AutoScan? Thanks
    Frank

Yoda of Radar

Few Laser Atlanta lasers from SQ and I've seen LTI Ultralyte from the MUC and Liquidz saw an ancient 20/20 around...

Ka radar, a bit of that, some K not too much X, don't expect pop but just leave it turned on, it should never false around here. You want Highway mode unless the alerts are too annoying in town then put city, but keep in Highway as much as possible.

Newcomer

Quote Originally Posted by SmaartAasSaabr
    Few Laser Atlanta lasers from SQ and I've seen LTI Ultralyte from the MUC and Liquidz saw an ancient 20/20 around...

Ka radar, a bit of that, some K not too much X, don't expect pop but just leave it turned on, it should never false around here. You want Highway mode unless the alerts are too annoying in town then put city, but keep in Highway as much as possible.
    thanks I'll keep that in mind. I turned off the X band because it gets too annoying :x . It falses everywhere I go. Theres also a Bonichoix close to my place and the automatic doors send out a K alert at 24.172 ishhhh.
    Have you really had any X alerts and actually seen a cop on radar :?:

thanks

Advanced Member

I think you're pretty safe to turn off the X in Ontario. We dont tend to have small local forces here so they are better funded and tend to use newer stuff.

In Toronto and on the 400 series highway watch out for Lidar.

On the positive side the lack of rds here tend to make the cops sloppy with their radar. I've even come across Lidar setups with their K band radar blazing away in the patrol car.

Newcomer

Right, so off the X band will be. Here in the region of quebec where I live the highways are build upon hills and into forest where sometime you cant even see where the speed patrol will be placed to pinn you. Now my question, at what distance (through trees and overs hills can the Bel Pro RX-65 detect the signal strenght? 1 Km, 2Km? 0.5 Km?
    My other question is how do you use the Tech Display? when it detects a signal. Will it display only the strengh? How can you tell if it's a cop or just another falsy? Does the Ghz increase with a decrease in distance? How does the Tech mode work?
    Does anyone have an answer to the 2 question stated above?
    Thanks

Yoda of Radar

Distance, no way to tell. If you were in space you might get 1000km range but in real world with curves and trees, I'd expect 500m, 900m, hell you will get the feel of it!

The GHz will always remain constant for the particular signal it is reporting. Signal strength (ie the beeps) will go higher and higher until it goes solid tone, by this time you should be very close.

I really would keep X band turned on in Ontario for sures, and I still have X on here as well. But my RD is not so performant.

Speed Demon

Quote Originally Posted by francescolodico
    Right, so off the X band will be. Here in the region of quebec where I live the highways are build upon hills and into forest where sometime you cant even see where the speed patrol will be placed to pinn you. Now my question, at what distance (through trees and overs hills can the Bel Pro RX-65 detect the signal strenght? 1 Km, 2Km? 0.5 Km?
    My other question is how do you use the Tech Display? when it detects a signal. Will it display only the strengh? How can you tell if it's a cop or just another falsy? Does the Ghz increase with a decrease in distance? How does the Tech mode work?
    Does anyone have an answer to the 2 question stated above?
    Thanks
    The range in hilly places is really reduced and if you drive where there is hills and big curves you will have only seconds to slow down with a good rd so be carefull. For the tech mode , this mode displays the frequency of the signal your RD catches, it could be handfull but once again some door openers are running on the cops radar guns freqs so you cant be 100% protected.