Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Yoda of Radar

Default Where Should I Mount the Radar Antenna?

OK, this is not my car, but this is the same grill that I have in my trunk, ready to roll. The installer wants to cut a hole in the bumper itself and mount the radar antenna in the bumper and behind the front bumper cover. I kind of wanted it higher to try to keep as much range as possible, but I don't really see any options that won't look completely hack. His idea is totally STEALTHIFIED, but might cost me a little range, due to the lower mounting position! I guess I'll go with that. What do you think? Any ideas?

Power User

Default Re: Where Should I Mount the Radar Antenna?

Quote Originally Posted by djrams80
    OK, this is not my car, but this is the same grill that I have in my trunk, ready to roll. The installer wants to cut a hole in the bumper itself and mount the radar antenna in the bumper and behind the front bumper cover. I kind of wanted it higher to try to keep as much range as possible, but I don't really see any options that won't look completely hack. His idea is totally STEALTHIFIED, but might cost me a little range, due to the lower mounting position! I guess I'll go with that. What do you think? Any ideas?
    What about behind the grill itself? If it is behind bumper I would worry that the solid plastic would block the range.

How is your SRX radar unit mounted now?

Yoda of Radar

Default Re: Where Should I Mount the Radar Antenna?

Quote Originally Posted by focalcivic
    What about behind the grill itself? If it is behind bumper I would worry that the solid plastic would block the range.

How is your SRX radar unit mounted now?
    That's what I wanted to do, but there's not much room back there. So, we'd have to cut a third hole in the grill for the radar antenna, which would stick out pretty far and cut down on the steathiness. There's also the concern of the wires near the radiator. The plastic won't hurt radar range, I was just hoping to be able to mount it higher, but it looks like I don't have any options.

My SRX antenna is mounted down in the lowest red paint sliver, even lower than the bumper, which I hate. Basically, below the radiator.

Hi djrams80,

Lord, where to mount the antenna...

I guess the installer's suggested mounting location is somewhere along the height indicated in yellow and behind the bumper. This location obviously will be totally concealed, and the bumper plastic in this location is ideally vertical and flat so as to not have any impact on range. If there is metal behind this location, then be sure that the installer cuts out a 5 inch wide hole and then horizontally centers the 9500ci antenna within the hole since the antenna likely will be mounted an inch or to back behind the plastic. Thus the 5 inch wide hole will allow the 9500ci antenna to have unobstructed off-axis sensitivity.

The mounting location shown in green is obviously the simplest mounting location. Even though it is low, radar reflects nicely when encountering surfaces such as the road ahead of the car at very shallow grazing angles. This low mounting location should actually allow the antenna to see under cars ahead to detect radar which would otherwise be obstructed by the cars ahead.

The mounting location shown in orange provides height, but the 9500ci features dual front antennas. I suspect that the flattened diamond grille is made of metal. There is no way to give both antennas an unobstructed view of the road ahead or unobstructed off-axis detection without cutting out some of this metal diamond grille pattern.

So, in my opinion, the choice of antenna mounting location is reduced to either behind the bumper or just below the bumper. The difference between the yellow and green locations should be negligible. And I like your installer's idea of having the antenna totally concealed. So, if it were me, I would slightly prefer the behind the bumper mounting location.

Well, these are my thoughts for what they are worth.

Yoda of Radar

I hate to say it, but it looks like your installer has got the place to install it correct. (As mentioned by MEM-Tek normally there is a bumper-rack right behind the bumper though (in front of the radiator and such), so your installer will probably have to cut-out a hole in that).

Where are the ZR4 front heads going? (One in between the 2 left lights, and one between the 2 right ones, cut out and installed?) Or are you thinking down lower?

Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by MEM-TEK
    I suspect that the flattened diamond grille is made of metal.
    Both the original grille and the aftermarket one that I bought are 100% plastic. And, I'm pretty sure that the front bumper is not metal either, but I'm not sure what the material is.

Experienced

How about the top portion of the two center lights?

Ah, forget it.
    Seems too difficult, just send the damn thing to me and I'll save you all that aggravation, stress and money customizing.
    No need to thank me, just trying to help a buddy out. :twisted:

Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by AirMoore
    I hate to say it, but it looks like your installer has got the place to install it correct. (As mentioned by MEM-Tek normally there is a bumper-rack right behind the bumper though (in front of the radiator and such), so your installer will probably have to cut-out a hole in that).

Where are the ZR4 front heads going? (One in between the 2 left lights, and one between the 2 right ones, cut out and installed?) Or are you thinking down lower?
    Yep, exactly correct, but at the bottom of the grille to provide plate coverage also, equidistant between the bottom center of the license plate and the top outside corner of each headlight. Basically, MEM-TEKs' orange rectangle, but at the bottom of the grille. All three target areas will be within the 18" radius.

Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by Atlas
    How about the top portion of the two center lights?

Ah, forget it.
    Seems too difficult, just send the *BEEP* thing to me and I'll save you all that aggravation, stress and money customizing.
    No need to thank me, just trying to help a buddy out. :twisted:
    What a giver! :wink: That's exactly my initial idea, but the room behind there is minimal and the hood latch operator(if that's the term) moves into that area to open the hood, so basically that's a no go.

Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by MEM-TEK
    Quote Originally Posted by djrams80
    ...All three target areas will be within the 18" radius.
    18" radius doesn't matter for the radar antenna -- it only applies to the laser shifters.
    That's what we were talking about, the shifters. You must have stepped out of the room for a sec.