Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Power User

Default 9500ci antenna placement suggestions

I borrowed Air's civic pic, but similar to my car. The grill of the car is hollow behind it and there is nothing to mount an antenna to, unless I fabricate something which I do not have a desire to do.

My question is I have to run a front plate, if I mounted the antenna on one side or the other of the front plate is that too low?

Yoda of Radar

Default Re: 9500ci antenna placement suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by focalcivic View Post
    I borrowed Air's civic pic, but similar to my car. The grill of the car is hollow behind it and there is nothing to mount an antenna to, unless I fabricate something which I do not have a desire to do.

My question is I have to run a front plate, if I mounted the antenna on one side or the other of the front plate is that too low?
    Not at all. The detection will be excellent anywhere you mount it, as long as it has a clear view. That location will be perfect. I mounted mine down that low for a while and it worked great until that a-hole squirrel got to it.

Power User

Quote Originally Posted by djrams80 View Post
    Not at all. The detection will be excellent anywhere you mount it, as long as it has a clear view. That location will be perfect. I mounted mine down that low for a while and it worked great until that a-hole squirrel got to it.

I always thought that you had in the grill, except you modified it later on.

As for your SRX antenna was it in that location?

Yoda of Radar

I always thought that you had in the grill, except you modified it later on.

As for your SRX antenna was it in that location?
    I had the SRX antenna mounted very low, behind the front bumper cover. In retrospect, I wish I had tried to remount it with a clear view of the road at some point. It might have given me a jump in performance, or it might not have. I'll never know, that's the problem.

After having some sketchy Ka band detection, I decided to remount my 9500ci radar antenna in the green spot below. It did very well, but for only about 400 miles or so until the squirrel got to it. Before the replacement antenna came in, I flew out to GOL 2008, where we proved beyond any doubt that obstructions were causing my detection problems. When I got back to SoCal, my replacement radar antenna was in and I had my installer mount it in its current location, where it has smoked ever since.

Last edited by djrams80; 09-13-2008 at 02:06 PM.

Power User

I had the SRX antenna mounted very low, behind the front bumper cover. In retrospect, I wish I had tried to remount it with a clear view of the road at some point. It might have given me a jump in performance, or it might not have. I'll never know, that's the problem.

After having some sketchy Ka band detection, I decided to remount my 9500ci radar antenna in the green spot below. It did very well, but for only about 400 miles or so until the squirrel got to it. Before the replacement antenna came in, I flew out to GOL 2008, where we proved beyond any doubt that obstructions were causing my detection problems. When I got back to SoCal, my replacement radar antenna was in and I had my installer mount it in its current location, where it has smoked ever since.

May I ask why the SRX antenna was behind the cover, it seems like you have a lot of options in the bottom grill area.

As for the 9500's antenna I never realized you moved it down.

Yoda of Radar

This pic and the pic in your sig are not the same car. Or at least the front end has been changed. Did you remove the Mustang emblem from the grille in this pic, or was there not one there to begin with?

"Buy the BEST and screw the rest." - fire65

"im intrested to see how well you do.i never seen a car JTG before would be a first for me.." - radarrob

Power User

Quote Originally Posted by Stealth Stalker View Post
    This pic and the pic in your sig are not the same car. Or at least the front end has been changed. Did you remove the Mustang emblem from the grille in this pic, or was there not one there to begin with?

I can answer for him. The pic with the multiple heads is his current setup, that is a totally different grill (the lights are moved to the middle, no emblem on this one) to make room for the antenna and heads.

The other pic was just showing the SRX and ci antennas that he had before.

Yoda of Radar

Okay, so it's like a custom aftermarket grille and headlight setup?

"im intrested to see how well you do.i never seen a car JTG before would be a first for me.." - radarrob

Power User

I can answer for him. The pic with the multiple heads is his current setup, that is a totally different grill (the lights are moved to the middle, no emblem on this one) to make room for the antenna and heads.
    Probably would have been better to nix the lights altogether. Less LIDAR reflectivity that way...

Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by swarga View Post
    Probably would have been better to nix the lights altogether. Less LIDAR reflectivity that way...
    That's one of the things I really like about the new Mustangs. Makes them easy to pick off with the lidar!