Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Detector location

I just want to see if you guys think the way my detector is facing is ok. Here is some pics (notice that because of the curve of the windsheild it doesn't face straight ahead).

Professional

For the most part you are ok, I am sure others will say it needs to be straighter or it angles to the left and you might miss some alerts but to each his own.

Radar Fanatic

I'd say you might want to try and get it straightened out a little, but you're not going to take much of a hit in range, if any at all.

Power User

I have noticed a range decrease when mounted at an angle however it wasn't
    a hugh difference. Why not mount it in the center of the windshield?

Quote Originally Posted by holein1
    I have noticed a range decrease when mounted at an angle however it wasn't
    a hugh difference. Why not mount it in the center of the windshield?
    I'm really trying to keep it out of my field of view. Plus it is a little less obvious in this location.

Power User

This would be my choice. better reception and the detector is somewhat hidden by the rear view mirror! having it located on the side just seems to make it stick out more. However you paid for it so if you like it on the side leave it there. :wink:

As far as being in your field of view, if you mount it over the rear view you won't even notice it's there after a while.

Speed Demon

This would be my choice. better reception and the detector is somewhat hidden by the rear view mirror! having it located on the side just seems to make it stick out more. However you paid for it so if you like it on the side leave it there. :wink:

As far as being in your field of view, if you mount it over the rear view you won't even notice it's there after a while.

holeinone, what do you drive?

Radar Fanatic

i would recommend putting it in the center

cops usually aim for the headlights(since you have no plates)... if he aims at the passenger side headlight i doubt you will get an alert

i didnt like how the new car have these huge chrome front... i love how yours is darker... the new VW's are all chrome in the fron... well...almost every new car is

Power User

Quote Originally Posted by CLTX11

holeinone, what do you drive?
    I got the pic from doing a google image search the pic isn't mine. As a daily driver I have my trusty old beater honda 38mpg, my weekend car is a 03' cobra with a few minor mods and my wife has a 99' civic si.

Radar Fanatic

Default Re: Detector location

Quote Originally Posted by Gilitar
    I just want to see if you guys think the way my detector is facing is ok. Here is some pics (notice that because of the curve of the windsheild it doesn't face straight ahead).

If your only reason to drive with an RD is just police RADAR, any location of your RD should be ok... but for LIDAR (laser), cause the laser beam is very narrow, the closer to your headlights (or license plate) you mount your RD the better chances to get laser alerts... mounting it high, your case, you should rely on other cars only to reflect the laser beam into your RD... but if you are the car targeted by a laser gun, in no way your RD, mounted so high, will alert you at all!!!
    Mine is on the dash, towards the front plate! And I got Veil for headlights and LaserShield for my front plate!
    Good Luck!