Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Professional

Default instant on question?

when you get hit with instant on, does the cop get an instant reading like laser? or does it take a second or two before he gets a reading? (in otherwords if you get a sudden alert, are you screwed or do you maybe have a second or two to react?

Advanced Member

Default Re: instant on question?

Quote Originally Posted by Mackid343
    when you get hit with instant on, does the cop get an instant reading like laser? or does it take a second or two before he gets a reading? (in otherwords if you get a sudden alert, are you screwed or do you maybe have a second or two to react?
    If he is targeting your car it's like laser...You are screwed...

When you speed make sure you got a car ahead of you goign the same speed that way you slow down and they are ****ed

Spoiler: show

Radar Detectors-V1 & BEL v995
    Laser Jammer-Laser Interceptor Quad
    GPS Camera Locator-Cheetah C100
    GPS Nav-Garmin nuvi w/Trapster
    CB Radio-Galaxy DX-949 w/Wilson 500
    Scanner-RS Pro-96

Professional

Default Re: instant on question?

Quote Originally Posted by crazyVOLVOrob
    When you speed make sure you got a car ahead of you goign the same speed that way you slow down and they are *BEEP*
    whenever i'm alone, i go 5 over max becuase of this. also i dont speed @ night hardly ever, simpily becuase you cant see any cops sitting on the side like in the day. detectors are nice and definately help, but the best defense is seeing the cop and slowing down before he sees you.

Professional

one other question, how does moving instant on work if it is stuck out of their window. i know this is used in my area by sheriffs but how do they know which car they are targeting?

Advanced Member

yes

Spoiler: show

Radar Detectors-V1 & BEL v995
    Laser Jammer-Laser Interceptor Quad
    GPS Camera Locator-Cheetah C100
    GPS Nav-Garmin nuvi w/Trapster
    CB Radio-Galaxy DX-949 w/Wilson 500
    Scanner-RS Pro-96

Good Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Mackid343
    one other question, how does moving instant on work if it is stuck out of their window. i know this is used in my area by sheriffs but how do they know which car they are targeting?
    They aren't really "targeting" a specific car with radar unless you are the only one in sight. Radar beamwidth is too wide to pinpoint single cars so if you are in traffic they will usually judge who is going fastest by watching the cars.

One thing to keep in mind is that some radars have processors that can isolate the fastest speed in a group of vehicles. It's still up to the LEO to visually determine which vehicle matches the "fastest speed". Even then, it's not very accurate because of vehicle size, reflections and all the other variables that cause radar "errors". Good luck explaining that in court though. :cry:

Professional

thast why i usually try not to be the fastest car .

Radar Fanatic

Something I really don't know but I would like to understand it once it for all: the cop is driving in his/her cruiser, he/she has just two hands, right, one is automatically on the steering wheel, so what is he/she doing with the other hand to get the instant-on, do they press a special button, is that button always in their hand like a remote control or they always must bend over to the dash where the radar gun is located... so how he/she activates the radar's instant-on?
    TIA

Advanced Member

Usually they'll use a remote control, though not necessarily. They could just push a button or flip a switch on the main unit.

Jim

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by jimbonzzz
    Usually they'll use a remote control, though not necessarily. They could just push a button or flip a switch on the main unit.

Jim
    Thank you Jim

Well, in this case I bet they mostly, if not always, use the RC than reaching with one hand to the radar gun located on their cruiser's dash... the RC gives them convenience and the fastest way to activate their instant-on while the other method is pretty cheap or rather primitive I might say... my own Sony Camcorder has an IR RC and that was a very important thing to choose a Camcorder, when I take roadtrips I just mount my camcorder on my dash, I turn it on but leave it on stand-by mode and work with the RC only, pretty easy without jeopardizing the safety of my driving...