Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19
  1. #1
    Old Timer
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    5,182

    Default 8500 x50 problem?

    Hey everyone,
    Question for anyone that knows somthing. My town usually runs constant on K band, but recently, EVERY encounter I have gotten is instant on. I was going by a KA sign the other day, and noticed that the detector was detecting it constantly for about 15 seconds or so, then die out (right by the sign) then jump back in. Is this because of the KA sweep? or has my detector fallen out of tune and thats why it is being shotty on all the bands I am detecting?

  2. #2
    Advanced Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    7,509

    Default

    Sometimes they'll get overloaded at close range, and won't alert. I've seen some weird things when I run the RX-65 on the bench with the radar at point blank range...

    Jim

  3. #3
    Professional
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    868

    Default

    similar thing has happened to me before but i doubt its due to overload.

    sometimes, when i am literally parellel to a multanova, my X50 stops beeping. this is even when its pointed away from me, my X50 will beep as i approach it, but as i'm right up next to it, it stops beeping.

  4. #4
    Old Timer
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    6,806

    Default

    I wonder if it's somehow due to the X50's anti-falsing algorithm being "fooled" by overly strong signals. Much like the reports of V1s "junking-out" legitimate threats, presumably also due to overload.

    A signal overdriving the input circuits could clip, which leads to noise and harmonics that the CPU might interpret as a non-radar source, causing the alert to be suppressed.
    If I'm passing you on the right, YOU are in the wrong lane!

    If speed kills, how come I'm still alive?

    Active Countermeasures: V1 3.858, Escort Redline, Beltronics STi-R+, LI Dual 7.1x CPU/8.7 Heads (front)
    Other/Backup Countermeasures: V1 3.813 (loaned to friend), Beltronics Pro RX65 M4 6.3
    Vehicle: 2002 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro
    LEO Toys: Kustom Pro Laser II & III
    Encounters/Saves August 2011: Radar 3/1, Laser 0/0


  5. #5
    Speed Demon
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Radar Land
    Posts
    670

    Default Re: 8500 x50 problem?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sethy
    Hey everyone,
    Question for anyone that knows somthing. My town usually runs constant on K band, but recently, EVERY encounter I have gotten is instant on. I was going by a KA sign the other day, and noticed that the detector was detecting it constantly for about 15 seconds or so, then die out (right by the sign) then jump back in. Is this because of the KA sweep? or has my detector fallen out of tune and thats why it is being shotty on all the bands I am detecting?
    What mode do you have it in when this happens?

  6. #6
    Old Timer
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    5,182

    Default

    Any mode it will do this. I am just more concerned if my detector can detect anything constant on with out cutting out. When I first got the detector I used to get minimal 20-30 second warnings. Now I am lucky to get 10.

  7. #7
    Professional
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Dallas/Lubbock, Texas
    Posts
    917

    Default

    Yikes. I had a similar problem with my friends Stalker Sport K gun ( a whopping 15mW if I'm not mistaken) at point blank range. Jim was prophesizing about the gun a while ago but I have since forgotten how much power it has. If I had to venture a guess, it would be an overloading problem.

  8. #8
    Speed Demon
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Radar Land
    Posts
    670

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sethy
    Any mode it will do this. I am just more concerned if my detector can detect anything constant on with out cutting out. When I first got the detector I used to get minimal 20-30 second warnings. Now I am lucky to get 10.
    Did you call Escort and ask them?.

    Did you get the ESP?.

  9. #9
    Professional
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    958

    Default Re: 8500 x50 problem?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sethy
    Hey everyone,
    Question for anyone that knows somthing. My town usually runs constant on K band, but recently, EVERY encounter I have gotten is instant on. I was going by a KA sign the other day, and noticed that the detector was detecting it constantly for about 15 seconds or so, then die out (right by the sign) then jump back in. Is this because of the KA sweep? or has my detector fallen out of tune and thats why it is being shotty on all the bands I am detecting?
    this has happend to me too, and with a k band sign. i dont think it was instant on sign but my v995 just stopped alerting when i got right up next to the sign and then started alerting again after a sec.

  10. #10
    Advanced Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    7,509

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TexasRed
    Yikes. I had a similar problem with my friends Stalker Sport K gun ( a whopping 15mW if I'm not mistaken) at point blank range. Jim was prophesizing about the gun a while ago but I have since forgotten how much power it has. If I had to venture a guess, it would be an overloading problem.


    Quote Originally Posted by jimbonzzz
    It looks like the Sport even has more power output than the police units. Here's the power output for the Sport and two police-version Stalkers on K-band:

    Stalker Sport (K-Band)
    15 Milliwatts Nominal

    Stalker Basic (K-Band)
    2.5 mw mininum
    5 mw nominal
    10 mw maximum

    Stalker Dual
    5 mw min (K-band), 10 mw min (Ka-band)
    10 mw nom (K-band), 25 mw nom (Ka-band)
    15 mw max (K-band), 50 mw max (Ka-band)

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Passport 8500 x50 possible problem?
    By cougar221 in forum Escort
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-29-2012, 07:03 PM
  2. Possible 8500 Refurb Problem
    By BlinderGuy in forum Escort
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 07-18-2009, 07:46 AM
  3. problem with my 8500
    By vtec4u in forum Escort
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-21-2008, 10:41 AM
  4. escort 8500 problem?
    By rattfink1 in forum Escort
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-30-2006, 12:43 PM
  5. 8500 problem
    By Allengts in forum Escort
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-04-2005, 07:32 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •