Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Speed Demon

Default 9500ix laser false alarms near cell phone

Today I was driving and thought I got my first radar alert with it. I was on the freeway and threw my cell phone onto my dash a couple inches away from the 9500ix which is currently mounted low on the windshield about 3" above the dash. Within a few seconds the laser alert went off. I thought it was odd because I was in heavy traffic that was moving about 5 mph below the PSL. The alarm was going off for an extended period of time so I put 2 + 2 together and figured it was the cell phone. I moved the phone and the alarm stopped. Put the phone near the RD and laser alarm goes off virtually every time. The phone I was using was a Blackberry 8120. I put my other cell phone next to the RD and nothing happened.

The moral of this story is not to put a cell phone near your 9500ix. Apparently they are sensitive to interference from the phone. I would be more concerned that the opposite may happen and the cell phone may prevent the RD from going off if the phone were left near the RD. No way to really test that but I don't want to find out. So I will no longer place either of my cell phones on the dash close to the RD.

Good Citizen

Default Re: 9500ix laser false alarms near cell phone

This is not the first report of cell phones interfering with RD. What is your other cell phone?

Maybe because your BB has data enabled it is more likely to interfere than your other phone while it isn't in a call.

Speed Demon

I don't have a data plan now with my BB. I just got back from another drive and picked up my wife. The RD laser warning went off with her in the car. She was talking on her phone and I had my BB phone with me. When the laser warning reset I moved her phone toward the RD and the laser alarm went off again with it a couple feet away.

It seems like it is not phone specific, but carrier specific. Both my BB and her generic Samsung phone are on T-Mobile. Both set off the RD. My other phone that does not set it off is on Verizon and is a generic Motorolla phone.

I'm a bit disappointed that the shielding on the RD isn't better to avoid such interference. I can understand with the phone right next to the RD, but with the phone about 2-3 feet away that is disappointing. Got me exited a couple times today that I got laser for nothing.

Yoda of Radar

Wow! I hope others will experiment with their 9500s to see if this is a consistent factor, or a fluke. If there is another reason to hate the 9500, I want to know it!

"Buy the BEST and screw the rest." - fire65

"im intrested to see how well you do.i never seen a car JTG before would be a first for me.." - radarrob

Yoda of Radar

What phone is it? My guess is that it's the phone's LCD screen that's causing the false alert. If you place any LCD screen anywhere near and facing almost any laser detector, a laser false alert is likely. I know that if I put my laptop screen anywhere near my V1, it falses laser.

Radar Fanatic

What about the infrared data transport function on phones? Could that set it off?

Speed Demon

I'll mess around with it tomorrow to figure out if it is the LCD or electrical interference that triggers the laser warning.

It is the strobing for the LCD's display which causes the laser falsing.

Speed Demon

I have a 9500ix and a BlackBerry 8900 on T-Mobile. I could not trigger a false of any kind. I tried with the following on and off.

GPS
    Wi-fi
    Bluetooth
    Calling in/out
    Data

Held it in front, beside, behind over, under and on the ix. No false on any band.

Old Timer

^ Some do, some don't. There's no real pattern.

It's truly a unique concern - the difference between "my" detector and "your" detector and "his" detector.

There seems to be a "two hit" scenario - that it takes a detector that's more prone to falsing (for whatever reason, i.e. perhaps a bit of extra tolerance during manufacturing, slightly misplaced shielding, etc.), combining it with perhaps a "noisier" environment.

If you don't have a problem. Just be thankful.

If you do, find out the cause, and try to either avoid it or find a remedy for it.

----

Of what pilotsmith observed, like with MEM-TEK and djrams, I also suspect the culprit to be the LCD display. This has been reported many times in the past, of many different detectors.

http://www.radardetector.net/forums/...er-alerts.html