Thread: Need help!!!

Default Need help!!!

Hey folks! I just purchase the X50 (blue) from the States. I'm live in Canada, Vancouver. My problem is the radar is not working in a proper way, because when I see the Police car it doesn't do and show anything. What should I do? May be there is some special adjustment or something? I'm really sad about it, cause it cost alot and doesn't do anything. May be you know some special buttons or something? Just need help?
    P.S. It never shows where the police is, just has false alarms...what should I do? May be because I purchased from the States, and Canada have some different bands or something?

Radar Fanatic

It's not a cop detector it's a radar detector!

Professional

Should we add something to the FAQ about these being RADAR detectors, not COP detectors? It seems like once a week we get someone complaining that their detector doesn't work because they drove past a cop and it didn't go off.

so basiclly it's useless agains COPs?

Professional

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Knight
    so basiclly it's useless agains COPs?
    No. Here's what happened:

Radar detectors are designed to pick up radar/lidar emissions. Not all police cars have radar or lidar installed, and those that do don't always have their radar on. Just because you see a police officer sitting off the side of the road doesn't mean he's scanning traffic--he may be catching up on paperwork, reading the newspaper while waiting for a dispatch, taking a lunch break, or, hell, I'm pretty sure I've seen staties taking a nap in their cars from time to time!

The only way to be sure that your detector isn't doing its job is to take it out to a known constant radar source and test it there. If your area employs photo radar, locations where it's set up are a great way to check your detector. If you have any "Your speed is:" signs near where you live, those are good, too, though not foolproof, as many are aging and drifting outside their original frequencies to the point where they might not even register as X- or K-band anymore.

Professional

Quote Originally Posted by bcorby
    see a police officer sitting off the side of the road --he may be catching up on paperwork, reading the newspaper while waiting for a dispatch, taking a lunch break, or, hell, I'm pretty sure I've seen staties taking a nap in their cars from time to time!
    i'd have to say i've never seen them napping, but i've seen the newspaper and paperwork before