Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22
  1. #1
    Experienced
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    New Jersey/Saratoga NY
    Posts
    317

    Default Hardwire beginner questions

    Hey I know there are a bunch of threads about hardwiring but I just had a few basic questions.

    1) Is there a professional I can take my car to (subaru legacy/Audi a4) so that it is hardwired correctly - I want to put my x50 above my rearview mirror.

    2) How difficult is it to hardwire it to a source that my rd turns on when the car starts up, I do not have a lot of electronics no-how but I think in the subaru the lighter plug would work, in the audi that source is always on so it would not work

    3) Should I go with some sort of a kit?

    Any advice from the experienced would be key.

  2. #2
    Professional
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    indoors
    Posts
    1,099

    Default

    Best Buy generally carries the hardwire kits, and their installers can hook it up for you. Alternatively, you can get the kit from Best Buy then take it to an installer of your choice--hardwiring a detector is easy compared to most of the installs they do.

  3. #3
    Good Citizen
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    91

    Default

    do either of these have auto-dimming mirrors or a compass up there?

  4. #4
    ES13Raven
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bcorby
    Best Buy generally carries the hardwire kits, and their installers can hook it up for you. Alternatively, you can get the kit from Best Buy then take it to an installer of your choice--hardwiring a detector is easy compared to most of the installs they do.
    BestBuy carries hardwire kits for the X50/RX65 (RJ-11 end)?

  5. #5
    Professional
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    indoors
    Posts
    1,099

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ES13Raven
    Quote Originally Posted by bcorby
    Best Buy generally carries the hardwire kits, and their installers can hook it up for you. Alternatively, you can get the kit from Best Buy then take it to an installer of your choice--hardwiring a detector is easy compared to most of the installs they do.
    BestBuy carries hardwire kits for the X50/RX65 (RJ-11 end)?
    I'm pretty sure that mine did. Not 100% positive, but I know one of our installers mentioned that we do at least install the hardwire kits.

  6. #6
    Newcomer
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Plano, TX
    Posts
    5

    Default

    See if the product at the following link is of any help. I used this on my 2004 Impala equipped with OnStar, compass, auto-dimming mirror. Took me all of 5 minutes including using a MM to find the right lead on the power connector at the mirror with switched power.

    http://mysite.verizon.net/ccm.gerber/quickconnect.htm

  7. #7
    Good Citizen
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Not the East Coast!!!
    Posts
    174

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bcorby
    Quote Originally Posted by ES13Raven
    Quote Originally Posted by bcorby
    Best Buy generally carries the hardwire kits, and their installers can hook it up for you. Alternatively, you can get the kit from Best Buy then take it to an installer of your choice--hardwiring a detector is easy compared to most of the installs they do.
    BestBuy carries hardwire kits for the X50/RX65 (RJ-11 end)?
    I'm pretty sure that mine did. Not 100% positive, but I know one of our installers mentioned that we do at least install the hardwire kits.
    I checked out my local Best Buy and they did not carry the hardwire kit. No problem as I ordered mine from Roy and had it in a few days

    Ed

  8. #8
    Experienced
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    New Jersey/Saratoga NY
    Posts
    317

    Default

    so if I order the smartcord for the 8500 and take it over to bestbuy they can hardwire it for me? Or is it easy enough to do it myself... I no for a fact that the subaru does not have any electronics in the rearview mirror, the auto may have auto dimming but I'd have to look into it as the car is not with me with right.

  9. #9
    Good Citizen
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Not the East Coast!!!
    Posts
    174

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by yemntftb
    so if I order the smartcord for the 8500 and take it over to bestbuy they can hardwire it for me? Or is it easy enough to do it myself... I no for a fact that the subaru does not have any electronics in the rearview mirror, the auto may have auto dimming but I'd have to look into it as the car is not with me with right.
    I would not pay anyone to hardwire the detector as anyone with a minimal understanding of automotive electronics should be able to do it themselves. I hardwired mine in 30 minutes and I am by no means an electrical engineer. Believe me when I tell you it is not hard. Several years ago I had a Subaru Outback which I hardwired my V1 to and it was no different than any of the other 8 vehicles I've hardwired over the years. The easiest way in my opinion is to run the positive lead to your fusebox under the steering column. Remove the fuse for your radio, insert the positive wire, then reinsert the fuse. Then find a good ground which will not be that hard for your ground wire. The rest of the install will be purely cosmetic as you try to hide the wire and decide where to position the detector. I have always mounted it on my visor because it is harder to spot from outside and it is also somewhat protected from heat and direct sunlight. Keep your money in your wallet and give it a try

    Ed

  10. #10
    Professional
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    indoors
    Posts
    1,099

    Default

    Definitely order it from Roy--he'll back up his product 100%. As for Best Buy, if you didn't buy it from them, be wary of having it installed by them. Hardwiring a detector is easy, yeah, but they might charge a lot more to do it than a local guy, especially since you didn't buy the detector or the hardwire kit from them.

    Alternatively, yes, hardwiring a detector is fairly simple (though I've admittedly never done it myself), and you should be able to do it pretty easily. If not, I'm sure there's some neighborhood teenager near you who's great with electronics, loves cars, and would be more than willing to figure it out for the cost of a decent pizza.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Beginner to the Radar Detector Scene!
    By DanOpi in forum Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-23-2013, 04:18 PM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-09-2011, 08:34 AM
  3. Beginner scanner question.
    By jeef in forum Scanners, Ham Radios, & CB's
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-14-2010, 04:48 AM
  4. Hardwire using fusebox questions
    By lordhawhaw in forum Valentine One
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 05-31-2008, 10:42 PM
  5. Beginner looking for Scanner and Understanding
    By Indiana Jones in forum Scanners, Ham Radios, & CB's
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 02-14-2007, 11:20 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •