Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Experienced

Default Hardwire beginner questions

Hey I know there are a bunch of threads about hardwiring but I just had a few basic questions.

1) Is there a professional I can take my car to (subaru legacy/Audi a4) so that it is hardwired correctly - I want to put my x50 above my rearview mirror.

2) How difficult is it to hardwire it to a source that my rd turns on when the car starts up, I do not have a lot of electronics no-how but I think in the subaru the lighter plug would work, in the audi that source is always on so it would not work

3) Should I go with some sort of a kit?

Any advice from the experienced would be key.

Professional

Best Buy generally carries the hardwire kits, and their installers can hook it up for you. Alternatively, you can get the kit from Best Buy then take it to an installer of your choice--hardwiring a detector is easy compared to most of the installs they do.

Good Citizen

do either of these have auto-dimming mirrors or a compass up there?

ES13Raven

Quote Originally Posted by bcorby
    Best Buy generally carries the hardwire kits, and their installers can hook it up for you. Alternatively, you can get the kit from Best Buy then take it to an installer of your choice--hardwiring a detector is easy compared to most of the installs they do.
    BestBuy carries hardwire kits for the X50/RX65 (RJ-11 end)?

Professional

Quote Originally Posted by ES13Raven
    I'm pretty sure that mine did. Not 100% positive, but I know one of our installers mentioned that we do at least install the hardwire kits.

Newcomer

See if the product at the following link is of any help. I used this on my 2004 Impala equipped with OnStar, compass, auto-dimming mirror. Took me all of 5 minutes including using a MM to find the right lead on the power connector at the mirror with switched power.

http://mysite.verizon.net/ccm.gerber/quickconnect.htm

Good Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by ES13Raven
    I'm pretty sure that mine did. Not 100% positive, but I know one of our installers mentioned that we do at least install the hardwire kits.
    I checked out my local Best Buy and they did not carry the hardwire kit. No problem as I ordered mine from Roy and had it in a few days

Ed

Experienced

so if I order the smartcord for the 8500 and take it over to bestbuy they can hardwire it for me? Or is it easy enough to do it myself... I no for a fact that the subaru does not have any electronics in the rearview mirror, the auto may have auto dimming but I'd have to look into it as the car is not with me with right.

Good Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by yemntftb
    so if I order the smartcord for the 8500 and take it over to bestbuy they can hardwire it for me? Or is it easy enough to do it myself... I no for a fact that the subaru does not have any electronics in the rearview mirror, the auto may have auto dimming but I'd have to look into it as the car is not with me with right.
    I would not pay anyone to hardwire the detector as anyone with a minimal understanding of automotive electronics should be able to do it themselves. I hardwired mine in 30 minutes and I am by no means an electrical engineer. Believe me when I tell you it is not hard. Several years ago I had a Subaru Outback which I hardwired my V1 to and it was no different than any of the other 8 vehicles I've hardwired over the years. The easiest way in my opinion is to run the positive lead to your fusebox under the steering column. Remove the fuse for your radio, insert the positive wire, then reinsert the fuse. Then find a good ground which will not be that hard for your ground wire. The rest of the install will be purely cosmetic as you try to hide the wire and decide where to position the detector. I have always mounted it on my visor because it is harder to spot from outside and it is also somewhat protected from heat and direct sunlight. Keep your money in your wallet and give it a try

Ed

Professional

Definitely order it from Roy--he'll back up his product 100%. As for Best Buy, if you didn't buy it from them, be wary of having it installed by them. Hardwiring a detector is easy, yeah, but they might charge a lot more to do it than a local guy, especially since you didn't buy the detector or the hardwire kit from them.

Alternatively, yes, hardwiring a detector is fairly simple (though I've admittedly never done it myself), and you should be able to do it pretty easily. If not, I'm sure there's some neighborhood teenager near you who's great with electronics, loves cars, and would be more than willing to figure it out for the cost of a decent pizza.