Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Good Citizen

Default Hey guys... i just bought my first radar detector

Hello everybody. I just want to tell the whole world that i've just purchased my first radar detector. an X50 red. I hope i made an ok choice. Please don't tell me that there's a bunch of problems w/ it. That would just suck.

Anyways, im planning on using it on my bike. Does anybody have any advice for me?? Thanks for reading...

Good Citizen

Default Re: Hey guys... i just bought my first radar detector

The X50 is a great model, a couple of models on the 9500i serious have been released with different sensitivety and more capabilities. However, many would argue that the X50, on the older platform, has a better sensitivity and they like the model more. Its a great buy and good luck, remember as unfortunate as it is the RD isn't a cop detector! Hopefully Happya$$ will design and release one soon though!

Power User

You made a decent choice for your first one. Your 8500 does have some problems with really quick Instant on, but I wouldn't worry too much yet. For your bike, you may need to put a speaker in your helmet so you know when its going off.

snoopyc4

I know someone who has a X50 on his bike. Here is how he has his installed:

Lead Foot

The X50 might be one of the best first detectors for the price. Kind of lets you test out the basic detection features without the overload of the extra bells and whistles. At the end of the day, it's being aware of alerts and how to react to them.

If you ever move up to the more expensive detectors (I didn't want to say 'better,' but I do want to take a moment to say non-Cobra), you'll be able to enjoy a bit more range but most of all some new features.

Good purchase though, have fun and stay safe.

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by v1user View Post
    You made a decent choice for your first one. Your 8500 does have some problems with really quick Instant on, but I wouldn't worry too much yet. For your bike, you may need to put a speaker in your helmet so you know when its going off.
    You think M4s have fewer problems with instant-on?

Good Citizen

Hey guys, i really appriciate you replys. I just have a question...What's instant on? Im new to radar detectors......

Radar Fanatic

Instant on is when the officer turns their radar off until a speeding target is in range and they turn their radar on just long enough to get your speed. It provides little or no warning with a RD in most cases. CBs are the only way to beat it.

Power User

Quote Originally Posted by Clay_in_Nashville View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by v1user View Post
    You think M4s have fewer problems with instant-on?
    Nah, I was just saying I think super quick trigger is rarer than we think. Yes it does have a problem, but we make it seem bigger that it really is.

Quote Originally Posted by Clay_in_Nashville View Post
    Instant on is when the officer turns their radar off until a speeding target is in range and they turn their radar on just long enough to get your speed. It provides little or no warning with a RD in most cases. CBs are the only way to beat it.
    Also rabbits are good. For the new guy, rabbits are cars going at the same speed or faster that you and you are following them in hopes that they will trigger a radar or laser trap before you. I highly recommend using them.
    Last edited by v1user; 08-04-2009 at 10:21 AM.

Radar Fanatic

Good choice on your first RD.- Congrats !!!! [replacer_img]