Default Radar Receiver / Detector Type

RX65:
    Superheterodyne, GaAs FET VCO
    STi:
    Dual LNA Microwave Receiver
    Superheterodyne, Varactor Tuned VCO
    X50:
    Superheterodyne, Varactor-Tuned VCO
    Can someone please explain the basics of these to me?

Advanced Member

A superhetrodyne receiver mixes the incoming signal with a local oscillator to produce an IF (intermediate frequency) which is further manipulated to receive the signal.

The "GaaS FET" means gallium arsenide field effect transistor, which would be used as the basis for the local oscillator. Cheaper detectors use gunn oscillators, while the higher end ones use FET oscillators because they offer more stability I believe.

VCO is "Voltage Controlled Oscillator", this often utilizes a varactor. The "Varactor" is a diode that changes capacitance depending on the voltage applied. In a local oscillator circuit, this would change the resonant frequency of the LO, which is done in order to sweep the oscillator for receiving the different bands.

I don't know this for certain, but I wouldn't be a bit surprised if all three were actually "Superheterodyne, GaAs FET Varactor-Tuned VCOs".

As for the "dual-LNAs" these are Low Noise Amplifiers in the front end, that amplify the incoming signal for better sensitivity, and they also provide suppression of the LO and mixer products from leaking out the antenna.

As far as I know, before the STI, the only detector that used these was the V1.

Since I know you like patents, you can read a little about what I believe might detail their implementation of LNAs in this one. :wink:

Jim