Newcomer

Default Stereo Interrupt

I've looked around a bunch and have searched bit but I still cannot seem to find what I'm looking for. I'd like to wire my 8500 X50 to interrupt the audio on my head unit whenever it starts alerting... I've looked into it a bit on Bimmerforums but didn't get much there. Here's the details on what I have:

Alpine CDA-9884
    8500 X50
    ZR4 Shifter

I guess it's pretty self explanatory, but I just get scared that sometime with the windows down and the music up I may not hear the alerts as quickly as I'd like to. I have seen this done on a youtube video although I believe it was done with a V1 in a WRX.

Thanks!

Power User

Default Re: Stereo Interrupt

This guy has a sweet setup with his LI:

http://www.radardetector.net/forums/...i-install.html

Maybe you could do something if you have bluetooth in your stereo?

Newcomer

yeah unfortunately my BMW doesn't have a phone system like that and I am running an aftermarket head unit.

I also do not have a bluetooth head unit which I'm guessing would make things much easier if I could source a unit that feeds a mini-plug to bluetooth.

I'm going to need something that operates more along the lines of getting a signal from the radar detectors audio output that is wired into the "audio-interrupt" (pink wire on the alpine I believe) on the head unit causing the music to mute and go into "cell phone mode" allowing me to hear the alerts on the detector.

Power User

I saw a deal at a truck stop that was designed to splice the CB audio into the factory speakers but I can't seem to find it anywhere on the net.

Maybe look into motorcycle headset stuff.

The solution is out there...

Power User

Quote Originally Posted by ty20404 View Post
    I've looked around a bunch and have searched bit but I still cannot seem to find what I'm looking for. I'd like to wire my 8500 X50 to interrupt the audio on my head unit whenever it starts alerting...
    Well, if you ever wanted to upgrade to a 9500ci, it has a mute output for your stereo.

P.S.

According to the owner's manual, your head unit has an "audio interrupt input." All you need is a way to ground it when you get an alert. I know how to do this with a V1, but not with an X50.
    Last edited by swarga; 09-15-2009 at 09:28 PM.

Good Citizen

look into a parrot bluetooth harness. they feed directly into your factory speakers and cuts off the stereo when bluetooth calls are received. the harness is separate from the bluetooth kit and is available at crutchfield.