Newcomer

Default Actual detection time

Hey all,

Sorry if this has already been posted, but i couldn't really find what i was looking for after searching.

So i just recently bought a refurb 8500 x50 (my first RD), and i wanted to make sure it was working correctly.

I was just curious what is the real world detection time that people normally experience??

picking up false's from automatic doors, i usually only get those when im right next to them. Which seems normal to me since im assuming they are a weaker signal. But for radar guns, what should i be expecting?

I see people posting things like "3.4 miles save" or "1.x mile save"....im guessing those are just rare cases? Cuz the few alerts ive gotten have been only a few seconds warning...

also, i understand it depends greatly on the terrain and the driving conditions, but just curious what i should be expecting...

thanks!

snoopyc4

Default Re: Actual detection time

For your refurb RD, you should have plenty of time to slow down against C/O radar. I/O and QT detection range will be much less though.

The threads showing RDs alerting 1-3 miles away from the radar source usually occur on very flat terrain. The flatter the road, the greater the detection range.
    Last edited by snoopyc4; 10-15-2009 at 05:11 PM.

Newcomer

What do you classify as "plenty of time" though? Thats basically what my question is lol

5 seconds? 10s? 20s?

snoopyc4

Quote Originally Posted by sam2428 View Post
    What do you classify as "plenty of time" though? Thats basically what my question is lol

5 seconds? 10s? 20s?
    You have to answer that question. How long does it take your car to slow from 85 to 65?

Radar Fanatic

I have used the X50 for years. No way to really answer your question, except to tell you when the X50 beeps especially on KA slow down. You own a great RD, you just have to learn to use it. IO no rabbit you are toast no matter what you run. I have received 4+ miles with my X50 many times, on a straight level road.

Newcomer

so i guess its just different from a case by case basis. Sometimes i'll get warnings way in advance, and sometimes they'll sneak up on me. Either way..slow down lol

The only reason im asking is because i wanted to know if my refurb was working properly. Just a little paranoid i guess

Thanks for the help guys!