Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Experienced

Default Redline vs Redflex?

Anyone done any testing or have any results\videos for this?

Down under in New Zealand we got the stupid Redflex cameras which make my STi pointless as it doenst detect them until your on top of it!

Apparently NZ will be getting the Redline towards the end of the month and i can imagine them selling out rather quickly

The closet thing I've found to the Redline vs a Camera is this video:
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ws21q4CZeA]YouTube - Redline Vs Mobile Speed Camera Jeep[/ame]

We used to have high powered Photo radar units running on Ka which i would pick up from about 600 meters but now we have low powered K band units

Radar Fanatic

Default Re: Redline vs Redflex?

Quote Originally Posted by Anthrax View Post

We used to have high powered Photo radar units running on Ka which i would pick up from about 600 meters but now we have low powered K band units
    That sucks the STi is pretty good against Ka Band, but not as good against K band, and has no hope against low powered K band. I haven't seen alot of videos with people running the RedLine. I assume the Redline should detect the cameras the same as the 9500ci and the STi-r. Those RD's give you a fighting chance against the speed cams.

Professional

I to have Redflex in my town, the mobil vans shoot a low power K band (24.1). I just got the Redline and have not seen a van yet, but I can tell you the V1 & STi were useless against that threat. From what I have heard the Redline should fair much better....will let you know soon.

Experienced

Thats always the case isn't it. You finally get a new radar then the threat that you bought it for just disappears!

It would be awesome if you can take a video or two of its performance against the Redflex. Im sure everyone hear will be eager to see the results!

Newcomer

The redline has done pretty well against those camera jeeps that were in the video, but these guys run 34.7, the other day I was driving from the opposite direction and fit an alert close to 3 miles away, my girlfriend was behind me running the sti driver and she got the alert before me! It was about less than a second before me, we were on the phone together at the time of the alert and I was blown away at the range, I thought it had been from an adjacent street near us!

V1 Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Anthrax View Post
    Anyone done any testing or have any results\videos for this?

Down under in New Zealand we got the stupid Redflex cameras which make my STi pointless as it doenst detect them until your on top of it!

Apparently NZ will be getting the Redline towards the end of the month and i can imagine them selling out rather quickly

The closet thing I've found to the Redline vs a Camera is this video:
    YouTube - Redline Vs Mobile Speed Camera Jeep

I hear that a company in NZ have imported the X50 Euro which is tuned to 24.1 GHz in the K band sweep. This detector should give you much better Redflex K band camera detection. My V1 .863 gives me really great detection. With POP on - 200 meters + around town, the country side not so great. I've run Euro mode and the V1 can detect 400 m + but then no 34.7 GHz and 35.5. I have emailed them about this Euro mode inflexibility. IMO the redline is not going to be a magic answer to this radar camera, this is a very low powered beam so any other false K band alert in the area @ 24.150 GHz will easily over power the 24.100 GHz camera radar as the redline K band is set to detect 24.150 GHz cop radar and in auto mode forget it. In the above video you can see how confused the driver was with more than one bogey. At the end of the day this camera radar has been design to defeat the radar detector and it's doing a pretty good job. One good thing is the New Zealand police don't know how to set them up
    Last edited by ghz1; 11-14-2009 at 01:58 PM.

Radar Fanatic

when I spoke to valentine a while ago they know about the redflex vans and the problems they are having with them. I would imagine that they are working on some kind of solution. I know that turning the detector 90 degrees really increases range and this is because they are vertically polarized instead of circular. I would think that if valentine would make a horn that was square instead of rectangular not only would is alert better to the vans but it would even alert better to normal radar becasue it can catch the whole wave not just half of it.

Advanced Member

the Ka was from the speed sign? and the K-band from the photo-radar van?

Mounting the detector verticle would help against redflex

Spoiler: show

Radar Detectors-V1 & BEL v995
    Laser Jammer-Laser Interceptor Quad
    GPS Camera Locator-Cheetah C100
    GPS Nav-Garmin nuvi w/Trapster
    CB Radio-Galaxy DX-949 w/Wilson 500
    Scanner-RS Pro-96

Professional

I have tested this on a Redflex mobil photo van, it shoots K (24.1) low power radar. When the V1 is turned on its side it triples the range.

Radar Fanatic

so as you can see it is not a sensitivity problem, it is a horn design problem.