Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie Question

Default Newbie Question

Greetings! First wanted to say thanks for all of the great posts that i have browsed thus far. I have recently purchased my first radar detector a X50. I have been looking through the posts and have had many of my questions answered but I still have a few that I would like to ask. I drive a 2005 F-150 and I currently have the detector mounted close to the headliner right in that area with the little tinted circles where it says F-150. I was wondering if I should mount it lower such as right below the rear view or if it is fine where it is. I would like it to be as stealthy as possible but effectiveness is obviously more important. Any other information that would be good for a newbie would also be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time.

Power User

Think of it this way, it's all about line of sight, also even if your RD has a clean line of site, you still want to make room for just in case, so bottom line make sure you have as best of a line of sight as possible. I have mine mounted just below factory tint, has performed very well including laser. However, you are already in a higer vehicle, so I would in your shoes, place it mid glass, even place it low but not directly on the dash.

Power User

Good choice on the detector!! :wink:

Experienced

I would recomend right below the rearview mirror. I would also recomend a little customization in buying a black phone cord and running it through your trim and along your headliner. I did this in my ranger and a few 150's of friends and it looks sharp. Good choice and good luck!

Old Timer

My friend drives an f150, he has his on the lower left of his windshield pointed down at least 20 degrees. it amazes me, he has killer detection range.

F150's are large trucks, put it this way, mounting it low would be mounnting it high on my cavalier

Experienced

is there a reason why you would want to be a stealthy RD user..canadian or virginian?

Yoda of Radar

It isn't preferable for people to see the RD other than yourself.

Experienced

i really dont care if people see my RD...its nto against the law in california...and i dont leave in the car when i park in shady places....so....for me it can be visible.... thats my opinion though..

Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by Eddieth3king
    i really dont care if people see my RD...its nto against the law in california...and i dont leave in the car when i park in shady places....so....for me it can be visible.... thats my opinion though..
    (This isnt said sarcastically) You're opinion is you're opinion:

I just sure hope that your opinion doesnt come back to bite you (and your RX65) in the :shock:

People have had their RD's (that I know of) stolen in a parking lot in broad daylight, at a party, and even in their own driveway...none of which I would consider in or around 'shady places'.

Not to mention if LEO's see you with them (and its plain obvious) you can expect them to follow you around curiously for a while even though they are completely legal.

Yoda of Radar

To the original post I would say:

Mount low prolly 4/5th's down the windshield centered.