Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14
  1. #1
    Yoda of Radar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    O'FALLON, MISSOURI
    Posts
    15,630

    Default Wheres the LEO? Escort can detect him but I can't find him!

    I sure wish Escort had arrows like the V1. I can't count the times that the Escort will pickup a signal for a great amount of distance only to eventualy get right up on the leo and never see him. I hate this! Especially when getting on the highway and picking up the leo from the side road.

    Example: I was driving on the State Road and picked up a leo, didn't know where he was. Was he infront of me, behind me, on the Highway above me? So I get on the highway and the signal fades. I step on the gas and see the leo ahead of me by visual only. Thanks to the leos lightbar. He had turned his KA off and was ready to use instant on at any moment. If I had had the arrows I would have known he was on the highway being that the side arrows would have alerted me. I didn't get a ticket because I saw the lightbar and slowed way down. But if it had been an unmarked car . !BUSTED!
    Laser Interceptor Dual, Laser Interceptor Quad, Valentine 1 & The Escort 8500 X50 - Blue, Uniden BC296D, GRE500, Lasershield, 2011 Kia Soul +, Yamaha FZ6, 2005 Black Dodge Neon SRT-4,


  2. #2
    Advanced Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Southern MA
    Posts
    10,127

    Default

    Arrows really wouldn't help....they will just tell you the radar source is ahead and when you pass it you still won't see the LEO. he just has a good hiding spot.....or it could be radar drone


    Instant-on in a good hiding spot is deadly

    Spoiler: show

    Radar Detectors-V1 & BEL v995
    Laser Jammer-Laser Interceptor Quad
    GPS Camera Locator-Cheetah C100
    GPS Nav-Garmin nuvi w/Trapster
    CB Radio-Galaxy DX-949 w/Wilson 500
    Scanner-RS Pro-96

  3. #3
    Radar Fanatic
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    2,357

    Default

    Although the arrows eliminate guess work, I did learn to distinguish pretty well between ahead and behind when I was using a Bel. A signal that creeps up the scale is probably creeping up behind you. Intermittent and weak? Probably behind you and tagging people with instant-on. A signal that starts strong or goes up the scale quickly over a matter of seconds is ahead.

    My rule of thumb was to always assume that a threat is ahead until proven otherwise. This is because an enforcer ahead of you is a much more immediate threat than one who is following you through traffic and could take minutes go catch up.

    I don't know how long you have been using detectors (don't want to make any assumptions) but I guarantee that you will get good at it if you know what to look for.

  4. #4
    Newcomer
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    38

    Default

    Another way to tell the LEO is behind you is if the signal intensifies when you pass large metal signs that are reflecting more microwave energy into the front of your RD & then the signal falls-off when you're past the sign.

  5. #5
    Power User
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    3,939

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mjldba
    Another way to tell the LEO is behind you is if the signal intensifies when you pass large metal signs that are reflecting more microwave energy into the front of your RD & then the signal falls-off when you're past the sign.
    Or if there are trucks up ahead it will bounce off the trucks.

  6. #6
    Professional
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,454

    Default Re: Wheres the LEO? Escort can detect him but I can't find

    Quote Originally Posted by StlouisX50
    I sure wish Escort had arrows like the V1. I can't count the times that the Escort will pickup a signal for a great amount of distance only to eventualy get right up on the leo and never see him. I hate this! Especially when getting on the highway and picking up the leo from the side road.

    Example: I was driving on the State Road and picked up a leo, didn't know where he was. Was he infront of me, behind me, on the Highway above me? So I get on the highway and the signal fades. I step on the gas and see the leo ahead of me by visual only. Thanks to the leos lightbar. He had turned his KA off and was ready to use instant on at any moment. If I had had the arrows I would have known he was on the highway being that the side arrows would have alerted me. I didn't get a ticket because I saw the lightbar and slowed way down. But if it had been an unmarked car . !BUSTED!
    ya you are like my mom and uncle
    when they are driveing my car they say the same thing i mean they like the x50 alot but they do wish they had the arrows that the v1 has they also would like to know if the radar source is in front or behine them but i my slef can live with out the arrows for now :wink:

  7. #7
    Yoda of Radar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    11,016

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brick
    Although the arrows eliminate guess work, I did learn to distinguish pretty well between ahead and behind when I was using a Bel. A signal that creeps up the scale is probably creeping up behind you. Intermittent and weak? Probably behind you and tagging people with instant-on. A signal that starts strong or goes up the scale quickly over a matter of seconds is ahead.

    My rule of thumb was to always assume that a threat is ahead until proven otherwise. This is because an enforcer ahead of you is a much more immediate threat than one who is following you through traffic and could take minutes go catch up.

    I don't know how long you have been using detectors (don't want to make any assumptions) but I guarantee that you will get good at it if you know what to look for.
    Yup, this is pretty much how I decide where a signal is coming from without the arrows...am I a fan of the arrows on the V1 after using it? Yes. Do they really help me ALL that much...Nope once I get used to a detector I can kinda guess how/where I am being (going to be) targeted from.

  8. #8
    Speed Demon
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    701

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mjldba
    Another way to tell the LEO is behind you is if the signal intensifies when you pass large metal signs that are reflecting more microwave energy into the front of your RD & then the signal falls-off when you're past the sign.
    BINGO

  9. #9
    Yoda of Radar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Rottweiler Land
    Posts
    10,420

    Default

    This is exactly why I went with the V1. I would love to have an X50 to try out, but I always hated guessing where the source was....ahead? Behind? Especially faint signals.

  10. #10
    Good Citizen
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    131

    Default

    blah blah blah....... 8) ............who cares . You know there IS a LEO in the area....... just slow down and do the speed limit until the alert clears!! Sometimes I can tell.........i.e. if I am sitting at a traffic light and the other lane of traffic starts moving and the alert is getting faster then obviously he is in the other lane. Other than that...........I know there is one in the area so I just do the speed limit until I am sure he is no where near me anymore. What the hell is the difference...........I mean really??? If the arrow points backward are you going to obey the speed limit? If the arrow points forward......are you going to obey the speed limit?..........what if it points to the side???!??! You get my point. I don't give a rats behind WHERE he is............he is somewhere and I am not gonna go any faster than the limit when he finally sees me or so long as that detector is alerting!!!!!!!

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Muting and Higher Band Detect Auto-UnMute like Escort
    By coastal_carolina in forum Valentine One
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 05-16-2008, 12:37 PM
  2. wheres the veil guy
    By hoffray in forum Laser Veil Stealth Coating
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-14-2008, 06:01 AM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-25-2007, 12:28 PM
  4. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 05-17-2006, 05:39 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •