Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13
  1. #1
    Good Citizen
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Jacksonville, NC
    Posts
    118

    Default Hiding my cord? Any suggestions?

    I have a rx65, its placed right above my rear view mirror. I love where its at because you can hardly see it from any angle (outside the car), and if a cop happens to pull me over he cant see it because my car is low and he's standing. But anyways, i absolutly love where its at and how no one can really see it if they arent looking for it, but my only problem is that spiral cord that hangs down. That is what gives away that I have a radar detector. I want to hide it, and i think i can (actually know i can) run the wire across my top of the windshield down the drivers side, around over the dash and down the dash to where my cigarat lighter is. My only problem is the cord. Is there anyway I could stretch it out straight or something? Or use a phone wire? I dont want to hard wire it, and please dont ask me why. I just want to know if theres a way I can like stretch the original spiral cord. Any suggestions or comments would be great! Thanks in advance!!!!!!!!!!!!

  2. #2
    Speed Demon
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Computer interfacing!!
    Posts
    538

    Default

    Add a length of 4line phone cord and an adapter(connects two phone cords together). Make sure to use as short a cord as possible to avoid drops in voltage. Also make sure it has 4 prongs inside the adapter as well as a the ends of the phone extension cord. Two lines or prongs will not work!!!

  3. #3
    Advanced Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Southern MA
    Posts
    10,127

    Default

    ok I will take pictures of my set-up tomorrow but I have detector hardwired at the top of my windshield and i just have the wire hooked up to the light then i ran the wire to the side and down the A-pillar and put the smart cord visual thing under the console with in close reach

    I bought the hardwire kit from Roy

    Spoiler: show

    Radar Detectors-V1 & BEL v995
    Laser Jammer-Laser Interceptor Quad
    GPS Camera Locator-Cheetah C100
    GPS Nav-Garmin nuvi w/Trapster
    CB Radio-Galaxy DX-949 w/Wilson 500
    Scanner-RS Pro-96

  4. #4
    Good Citizen
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Jacksonville, NC
    Posts
    118

    Default

    where can i get an adapter?

  5. #5
    Experienced
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Kansas City, MO
    Posts
    254

    Default

    Go to radio shack and get a black adapter and a black phone cord. I did this with my 8500 and kept it tight to my rearview mirror. It looks awesome.

  6. #6
    Yoda of Radar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    In front of my computer
    Posts
    10,773

    Default

    I'd just hardwire the unit. Take a phone cord, cut off the female end, wire that to something that has 12v when you switch on the ignition key. Then run the wire up the A-pillar under the headliner etc, so you have 1-3 inches max exposed cord.

  7. #7
    Yoda of Radar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    11,016

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SmaartAasSaabr
    I'd just hardwire the unit. Take a phone cord, cut off the female end, wire that to something that has 12v when you switch on the ignition key. Then run the wire up the A-pillar under the headliner etc, so you have 1-3 inches max exposed cord.
    I think this is what most of us would do; except he very specifically stated:

    Quote Originally Posted by NRTrackChamp2004
    I dont want to hard wire it, and please dont ask me why.
    So (even though I agree with you I would hardwire it and it seems odd not to; especially going through all the trouble he will be) I think the aforementioned post of "vw242" is a decent idea.

  8. #8
    Speed Demon
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    632

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vw242
    Add a length of 4line phone cord and an adapter(connects two phone cords together). Make sure to use as short a cord as possible to avoid drops in voltage. Also make sure it has 4 prongs inside the adapter as well as a the ends of the phone extension cord. Two lines or prongs will not work!!!
    This is your only real option without hardwiring it to the car. Just dont buy a very long phone cord, keep it I would say within 4-6 ft extra length. More, and the wire and power specification will go out of range, kind of like trying to fill two tubs of water, but one with a smaller hose, its not going to be the same.

    {smat cord} - {female-female 4 prong connector} - {4-6 ft of 4 prong telephone wire} - {detector}

  9. #9
    Good Citizen
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    95

    Default

    Just a question which pins go to the positive and which to the negative? I had been thinking of hardwiring to my wifes car in a less expensive manor. I am hoping to get the smart wire kit for X-mas, but, if I don't I will order one from Roy. But I don't want to buy two if I can avoid it.

  10. #10
    Power User
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Evergreen State
    Posts
    3,884

    Default Re: Hiding my cord? Any suggestions?

    Quote Originally Posted by NRTrackChamp2004
    I have a rx65, its placed right above my rear view mirror. I love where its at because you can hardly see it from any angle (outside the car), and if a cop happens to pull me over he cant see it because my car is low and he's standing. But anyways, i absolutly love where its at and how no one can really see it if they arent looking for it, but my only problem is that spiral cord that hangs down. That is what gives away that I have a radar detector. I want to hide it, and i think i can (actually know i can) run the wire across my top of the windshield down the drivers side, around over the dash and down the dash to where my cigarat lighter is. My only problem is the cord. Is there anyway I could stretch it out straight or something? Or use a phone wire? I dont want to hard wire it, and please dont ask me why. I just want to know if theres a way I can like stretch the original spiral cord. Any suggestions or comments would be great! Thanks in advance!!!!!!!!!!!!
    You can purchase a v1 plug that goes into your cig. lighter and just use any old phone cord! Run the wire through your head liner down the a pillar and then under the dash too the cig. lighter plug! Looks nice and clean.

    I had to do this on my wifes car because the cig. lighter socket was stuck in the dash like a mutha and didn't want to risk cracking anything!!

    The x50 in my stang is hardwired though!





 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-02-2012, 12:32 PM
  2. V1- Use Coiled Phone Cord, or Straight Cord?
    By 1DREAM2REALITY in forum Valentine One
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-19-2011, 12:04 PM
  3. sti extention cord? phone cord work?
    By autobel in forum Beltronics
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-17-2009, 04:30 AM
  4. Hiding my RD
    By EerFoolWVU in forum Radar Detectors - General
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 05-24-2006, 02:21 PM
  5. Best Hiding Position
    By pipinos1976 in forum Radar Detectors - General
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 04-10-2006, 09:29 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •