Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Good Citizen

Default Hiding my cord? Any suggestions?

I have a rx65, its placed right above my rear view mirror. I love where its at because you can hardly see it from any angle (outside the car), and if a cop happens to pull me over he cant see it because my car is low and he's standing. But anyways, i absolutly love where its at and how no one can really see it if they arent looking for it, but my only problem is that spiral cord that hangs down. That is what gives away that I have a radar detector. I want to hide it, and i think i can (actually know i can) run the wire across my top of the windshield down the drivers side, around over the dash and down the dash to where my cigarat lighter is. My only problem is the cord. Is there anyway I could stretch it out straight or something? Or use a phone wire? I dont want to hard wire it, and please dont ask me why. I just want to know if theres a way I can like stretch the original spiral cord. Any suggestions or comments would be great! Thanks in advance!!!!!!!!!!!!

Speed Demon

Add a length of 4line phone cord and an adapter(connects two phone cords together). Make sure to use as short a cord as possible to avoid drops in voltage. Also make sure it has 4 prongs inside the adapter as well as a the ends of the phone extension cord. Two lines or prongs will not work!!!

Advanced Member

ok I will take pictures of my set-up tomorrow but I have detector hardwired at the top of my windshield and i just have the wire hooked up to the light then i ran the wire to the side and down the A-pillar and put the smart cord visual thing under the console with in close reach

I bought the hardwire kit from Roy

Spoiler: show

Radar Detectors-V1 & BEL v995
    Laser Jammer-Laser Interceptor Quad
    GPS Camera Locator-Cheetah C100
    GPS Nav-Garmin nuvi w/Trapster
    CB Radio-Galaxy DX-949 w/Wilson 500
    Scanner-RS Pro-96

Good Citizen

where can i get an adapter?

Experienced

Go to radio shack and get a black adapter and a black phone cord. I did this with my 8500 and kept it tight to my rearview mirror. It looks awesome.

Yoda of Radar

I'd just hardwire the unit. Take a phone cord, cut off the female end, wire that to something that has 12v when you switch on the ignition key. Then run the wire up the A-pillar under the headliner etc, so you have 1-3 inches max exposed cord.

Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by SmaartAasSaabr
    I'd just hardwire the unit. Take a phone cord, cut off the female end, wire that to something that has 12v when you switch on the ignition key. Then run the wire up the A-pillar under the headliner etc, so you have 1-3 inches max exposed cord.
    I think this is what most of us would do; except he very specifically stated:

Quote Originally Posted by NRTrackChamp2004
    I dont want to hard wire it, and please dont ask me why.
    So (even though I agree with you I would hardwire it and it seems odd not to; especially going through all the trouble he will be) I think the aforementioned post of "vw242" is a decent idea.

Speed Demon

Quote Originally Posted by vw242
    Add a length of 4line phone cord and an adapter(connects two phone cords together). Make sure to use as short a cord as possible to avoid drops in voltage. Also make sure it has 4 prongs inside the adapter as well as a the ends of the phone extension cord. Two lines or prongs will not work!!!
    This is your only real option without hardwiring it to the car. Just dont buy a very long phone cord, keep it I would say within 4-6 ft extra length. More, and the wire and power specification will go out of range, kind of like trying to fill two tubs of water, but one with a smaller hose, its not going to be the same.

{smat cord} - {female-female 4 prong connector} - {4-6 ft of 4 prong telephone wire} - {detector}

Good Citizen

Just a question which pins go to the positive and which to the negative? I had been thinking of hardwiring to my wifes car in a less expensive manor. I am hoping to get the smart wire kit for X-mas, but, if I don't I will order one from Roy. But I don't want to buy two if I can avoid it.

Power User

Default Re: Hiding my cord? Any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by NRTrackChamp2004
    I have a rx65, its placed right above my rear view mirror. I love where its at because you can hardly see it from any angle (outside the car), and if a cop happens to pull me over he cant see it because my car is low and he's standing. But anyways, i absolutly love where its at and how no one can really see it if they arent looking for it, but my only problem is that spiral cord that hangs down. That is what gives away that I have a radar detector. I want to hide it, and i think i can (actually know i can) run the wire across my top of the windshield down the drivers side, around over the dash and down the dash to where my cigarat lighter is. My only problem is the cord. Is there anyway I could stretch it out straight or something? Or use a phone wire? I dont want to hard wire it, and please dont ask me why. I just want to know if theres a way I can like stretch the original spiral cord. Any suggestions or comments would be great! Thanks in advance!!!!!!!!!!!!
    You can purchase a v1 plug that goes into your cig. lighter and just use any old phone cord! Run the wire through your head liner down the a pillar and then under the dash too the cig. lighter plug! Looks nice and clean.

I had to do this on my wifes car because the cig. lighter socket was stuck in the dash like a mutha and didn't want to risk cracking anything!!

The x50 in my stang is hardwired though!