Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Better laser?

Speed Demon

Default Better laser?

What RD has better Laser detection the X50 or an RX65?

Advanced Member

Default Re: Better laser?

Quote Originally Posted by Radar 4 Ever
    I would say the X50.
    Generally people seem to think the RX-65 has poor laser detection. I think someone found in our testing that the RX-65 would detect as good as the others if it was tipped up slightly, so really they might be about the same depending on how the detectors are mounted...

Jim

Power User

I have never missed a laser alert on my RX65....ive even shot my laser at it from over a mile away and it still alerted....same with the x50 tho...in the same spot at the same distance.

Even close up the RX65 alerts to laser...the STi has even better laser detection again....

Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by stalker
    I have never missed a laser alert on my RX65....ive even shot my laser at it from over a mile away and it still alerted
    Just kind of wondering here....but wouldnt that actually make it easier for the detector to alert (shooting it from a mile rather then a few hundred feet)? I say it because of this:

At that distance we all know the 'projected size' (total area covered) of the laser beam would be larger by an order of magnatitude then at a shorter distance.
    Basically I am just saying Laser is so hard to detect for most detectors because it has such a small projected surface area on vehicles (when targeted from a reasonable distance)...at 5,280 the 'projected size' of the beam would be massive so even if the RX65 didnt have great laser protection it should still alert, because it would not have to rely on picking up unobstructed scatter from the Headlight or LP.
    Granted it is a mile...the fact that RD's (or LD's in this case) are so sensative to laser (not having to reject the many falses of radar) at 905nm+/-50 it should have no problem alerting since it is being 'painted' with a huge projected beam of 905, (not like radar detection, where they have to 'scan/sweep' all different bands and try and reject falses [and provide ample protection] along those bands due to so many other devices using them). Also the fact that to my knowledge you could not change the "range/distance" that the LIDAR unit shot...so its 905 beam would carry on until obstructed, and a mile is not very far for an -unobstructed- police LIDAR units 905 beam to travel. [Granted I am using some incorrect and 'dull' terminology].

Now this wasnt an attack on you Stalker I am actually more questioning as in why wouldnt it alert to laser at a mile (I would think it would be easier), so you are infact probably getting at something about the mile detection I dont understand and I kind of want you (or anyone... Jim maybe?) to explain that for me?

Could someone explain where my logic is off....in thinking laser detection (granted a semi-clear path which im assuming was used) should not be very hard for the RX65 to detect, easier infact then a rather close shot from a tripod or something where it would have to rely on scatter from a HeadLight,LP, Grill etc etc?

Speed Demon

Default Re: Better laser?

In my opinion the detector with the best laser range is the Valentine One but the ? was X50 or Rx65 and the X50 wins hands down.

Power User

I saw that video of OUTRUN where his blinder was going nuts, in the mean time his then rx65 is silent untill he was passing the LEO shooting him, it was unnerving to watch video proof of of a detector sitting there quiet for that lenght of time, the road was clear so it had just aout equal opportunity to catch off axis beams, in addition it was mounted dead center on the windshield, it should have gone off. Other tests I have seen the rx65 improved but then compared to the X50, the X50 won hands down.

Now I have an older Bel, and front and rear laser detection works just great, so myself also considering Ka, where the rx65 is the supposed winner, it's a crap shoot. In the end they are all great units, but as everyone knows and repeatedly says, have a bunny in front, and driver awareness is key for maximum protection.

Power User

yeah even at say 500 feet or so ive been hit with laser and the RX65 goes nuts...the old 880 bel was the best...I could shoot my laser from under the detector and it would still go off!! very good indeed...

The STi had 4 laser diodes so id say it is alot better...maybee like the old bels

Yoda of Radar

5 laser sensors... want to see that baby in action...

How many did the old V1's have though... 7?

Speed Demon

When is laser mainly used?

Radar Fanatic

When is laser mainly used?
    Warmer months and in dense traffic conditions.