Radar Fanatic

Default Does anyone know if...

if the top tint strip for navi's/expeditions (maybe all fords) are metallic? i have my X50 mounted there and dont wanna be losing performance. is there a sure fire way to test? thanks.

Old Timer

easy way is to pull into a parking lot. and while the thing is going ballistic, hold it up to the tint strip. You should see preformance decrease immediatly if its metallic.

Radar Fanatic

aight will do. thanks sethy

ES13Raven

I also read somewhere that you can tell by going up to a red light and looking through the tint strip at it. If it is not metallic, it should still look red. If it is metallic, it will look greenish.

Power User

Even if my strip is NOT metalic, I mount mine (line of sight) just below the tint strip (again the line of sight is below, the unit is actual covered by the tint and the headliner), remember even if its not, you do not want to sacrafice your laser detection through the tint because the tint cuts that down significantly, it already bad enough trying to get a laser alert.

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by amoney
    Even if my strip is NOT metalic, I mount mine (line of sight) just below the tint strip (again the line of sight is below, the unit is actual covered by the tint and the headliner), remember even if its not, you do not want to sacrafice your laser detection through the tint because the tint cuts that down significantly, it already bad enough trying to get a laser alert.
    well one reason i have it up there is to "hide" it from my stap-dad, hes not real fond of RD :roll: . and 2. if im hit with laser and my X50 goes off, they already have my speed, so theres no point in trying to pick it up. now when i get some veil and a jammer ill mount it lower.

Power User

Quote Originally Posted by A-TownNavi
    Quote Originally Posted by amoney
    well one reason i have it up there is to "hide" it from my stap-dad, hes not real fond of RD :roll: . and 2. if im hit with laser and my X50 goes off, they already have my speed, so theres no point in trying to pick it up. now when i get some veil and a jammer ill mount it lower.
    OK I understand trying to conceal it, it is harder in a expedition, as far as laser, your are mostly correct, although some would say you have a fighting chance but that whats great about this forum, eveyone has a valid opinion (well almost, we won't get into that here) anyways we all have to pick our battle and make our compromises, if you have decided to forgo the laser detection and if the strip is confirmed not matalic go for it!

Lead Foot

I thought I had read somewhere that the non metalic tint was considered ok to mount behind and it doesnt reduce laser. If memory serves me right I think I also read where the tint helps refract small amounts of laser and in some cases may enhance the ability to detect laser.

Someone correct me if I am wrong. I think I read it at Valentine1 website.