Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer

Default Hello-New Member

Just stopped in to say Hello. After getting two tickets in a short span I decided to ask for a RDD for christmas. My wife went to Radio Shack with the intention of grabbing a Cobra. She ended up with a BEL 795. Needless to say I didn't know anything about RDDs until after the fact and looks like I got a good starter one.

Hopefully it will do the job to keep me out of trouble. I plan on using it in Rentals when I'm away from home as well as in my own vehicle.

Lots of great info here in this forum. Thanks for all the info you Radar Freaks . Now I'm addicted. I can't resist the power of the Dark side.

Yoda of Radar

Welcome...Hope your happy with that detector...I have it as one of my many; and personally for a cheap detector it has served me very well. Some people have had poor performance from it on this board, but the overwhelming majority who own it seem to feel it is a great detector for the price (not to mention it won the under $100 shootout recently which I cant find the website to currently).

Good Citizen

its good to see new people, I havent been a member too long either. But I've been reading on here FOREVER!!!!!! My first radar detector was a rx65 and still is my radar detector, one of the best! I didnt want to take a chance so I had to get the best. But hopefully your Bel 795 will hold up and keep u safe till you can buy a better radar detector (8500 x50, rx65, valentine). I really think you should save some money and buy one of those as soon as possible! But best of luck with what you have!!!!

ES13Raven

Default Re: Hello-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by TexasDriver
    My wife went to Radio Shack with the intention of grabbing a Cobra. She ended up with a BEL 795. Needless to say I didn't know anything about RDDs until after the fact and looks like I got a good starter one.
    A much better choice than any Cobra :wink:

Radar Fanatic

Default Re: Hello-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by ES13Raven
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasDriver
    My wife went to Radio Shack with the intention of grabbing a Cobra. She ended up with a BEL 795. Needless to say I didn't know anything about RDDs until after the fact and looks like I got a good starter one.
    A much better choice than any Cobra :wink:
    Agreed! My mom uses a Bel Express 925 which is pretty close to the 795, and it's served her very well.

Power User

Hey Texas Driver what part of TEXAS?

Newcomer

Quote Originally Posted by Outrun
    Hey Texas Driver what part of TEXAS?
    Houston.

Took the 795 for a test run to grandpa's house. No falses at all. It didn't pick up any of the doors at the shopping centers.

Had a Trooper merge ahead of me on the hwy and about 30 seconds later the RD went off. There were a few cars ahead of me then the trooper. Figured he just turned on the radar. A lttle later I got an alert when i was coming up on a traffic stop in the opposite lane. Should mention that I was driving on divided 4 lane hwy with a fairly big median. Was a little disappointed that the range wasn't better but may have been an instant on radar. Other than that a pretty quiet drive.

Professional

good thing she didnt get the cobra! bel's are great. hope yours works out well for ya! and welcome to the board!

Newcomer

Quote Originally Posted by Mackid343
    good thing she didnt get the cobra! bel's are great. hope yours works out well for ya! and welcome to the board!
    Thanks for the welcome. Yeah I'm very happy after researching that she got the BEL. If she got the Cobra I think i'd be exchanging it. Hopefully by July for my Birthday I'll get an x50 or rx65.

Professional

if you have POP in your area, go for the rx-65 but if not, go for the x50. thats my opinion. both are great, but the rx-65 rocks on POP detection, but sucks on laser. you'd need a jammer too