Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 45
  1. #1
    ES13Raven
    Guest

    Default X50 Ka Range issue

    There are a few people on this forum that think that the X50's Ka range is a lot lower than the RX65, the V-1 and the older non-x50 8500. And on the GOL test, they found that particular X50 to alert 388 feet later than the V-1 and RX65.

    I don't see how that can be the norm...

    Escort says the X50 is supposed to have
    up to 50% more range than the original Passport 8500 on the all-important K and Ka bands
    RadarTest.com says
    Like the other two contenders (RX65 and V-1) its radar scores were always within feet of the others' although it bested the V1 more often than we'd expected. And it proved highly POP mode-capable as well
    SML 2005 tested for longest Ka range: the X50, RX65, V-1 and Bel 995 and found the X50 to be the best:
    The Passport X50’s performance was astounding consistently reporting over 50% signal strength at nine miles. It’s reported signal strength was double that of any other detector. Its performance was followed, in order, by Bel RX 65, Bel 995, and Valentine One. We were assisted by two country sheriff’s departments. The Passport X50 is the Long Ranger of Radar Detection and hotter than a Texas jalapeno pepper!
    And Radar Roy tested the X50 and found that it was tied for best Ka detection, with a 4.3 mile range

    So what gives?

    Are some people getting bad batches of X50s?

  2. #2
    Yoda of Radar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    11,016

    Default Re: X50 Ka Range issue

    Quote Originally Posted by ES13Raven
    There are a few people on this forum that think that the X50's Ka range is a lot lower than the RX65, the V-1 and the older non-x50 8500. And on the GOL test, they found that particular X50 to alert 388 feet later than the V-1 and RX65.

    I don't see how that can be the norm...

    Escort says the X50 is supposed to have
    up to 50% more range than the original Passport 8500 on the all-important K and Ka bands
    RadarTest.com says
    Like the other two contenders (RX65 and V-1) its radar scores were always within feet of the others' although it bested the V1 more often than we'd expected. And it proved highly POP mode-capable as well
    SML 2005 tested for longest Ka range: the X50, RX65, V-1 and Bel 995 and found the X50 to be the best:
    The Passport X50’s performance was astounding consistently reporting over 50% signal strength at nine miles. It’s reported signal strength was double that of any other detector. Its performance was followed, in order, by Bel RX 65, Bel 995, and Valentine One. We were assisted by two country sheriff’s departments. The Passport X50 is the Long Ranger of Radar Detection and hotter than a Texas jalapeno pepper!
    And Radar Roy tested the X50 and found that it was tied for best Ka detection, with a 4.3 mile range


    So what gives?

    Are some people getting bad batches of X50s?
    This is also an issue I would like to have some more insite on... it seems some people are getting mind-blowing range with the x50 on Ka and others subpar.
    Just like the POP issue: some people get HUGE amounts of random POP falses, others few if any (maybe tied in w/ firmware)...

  3. #3
    Experienced
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    GA
    Posts
    286

    Default

    I have thought about these test results also. The only thing that I could think of was that most of the test utilized straight roads and the road that the GOL tested on had a slight curve. I also remembering reading on this forum that the X-50 has tunnel vision compared to the RX-65 and the V1, but that is just my opinion.

  4. #4
    Manufacturer
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Bozeman, MT
    Posts
    3,205

    Default

    IMHO, testing in a desert valley is good for producing eye-popping test results, but not generally practical for demonstrating real-world performance.

    When trees, buildings, hills, curves, medians, overpasses, other cars - and any other thing you would normally encounter - are factored in, then the performance numbers a going to drop signficantly.

    GoL radar test, if I recall correctly was not only on a curvey road but also on a decline as well.

    I believe the weather conditions also probably impact radar performance and probably sometimes significantly so. I suspect the humidity level affects radar wave propogation as well and certain bands perhaps more than others. Most people don't encounter single digit humidity levels often found in arid or desert climates.

    I imagine our resident radar expert, Dr. Jim, could elaborate on this subject much better than I.

    Veil Guy 8)
    ALERT: Purchase the latest Veil G5 Direct from the Manufacturer or from one of our Authorized Dealers at the Veil Store.

    Stay informed with the latest industry news and product reviews Veil Guy's Radar Detector Reviews.

    Experience real-world encounters as they actually happened on the open road, from the pioneer of this bonafide real-world testing format. Visit Veil Guy's radar detector videos.

    Socialize with the Veil Guy: Google+, Facebook

  5. #5
    Advanced Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    7,509

    Default

    Here's one possible theory:
    With the addition of POP, the X50 has to spend a lot of time scanning the 33.8 GHz Ka POP freq, hitting it at least once every 67ms and probably even more often. This reduces the amount of time it has to examine the rest of the Ka band.

    The amount of time a frequency is examined is directly related to sensitivity. To some point, the longer a frequency is examined, the more sensitive it will be at detecting that frequency. So with the addition of POP, at the very least they would have to "get back" the sensitivity loss due to POP by tweaking other things in the detector, and maybe they were not able to do that with the X50.

    Jim

  6. #6
    Professional
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,454

    Default

    my opion on this matter is that it would be nive if GOL could test 2 more older units passport 8500s and see what they get this time i my self have tested a older 8500 one of the very frist models and i found out that my rev 5 x50 picked up ka more range then the 8500 but i would like to see more testing with thhese units

  7. #7
    Power User
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    3,939

    Default

    The POP theory is a good theory, but would it still apply if POP is turned off? My X50 lacks on Ka range with POP on or off compared to my original 8500.

  8. #8
    Advanced Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    7,509

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Veil Guy
    IMHO, testing in a desert valley is good for producing eye-popping test results, but not generally practical for demonstrating real-world performance.

    When trees, buildings, hills, curves, medians, overpasses, other cars - and any other thing you would normally encounter - are factored in, then the performance numbers a going to drop signficantly.

    GoL radar test, if I recall correctly was not only on a curvey road but also on a decline as well.

    I believe the weather conditions also probably impact radar performance and probably sometimes significantly so. I suspect the humidity level affects radar wave propogation as well and certain bands perhaps more than others. Most people don't encounter single digit humidity levels often found in arid or desert climates.

    I imagine our resident radar expert, Dr. Jim, could elaborate on this subject much better than I.

    Veil Guy 8)
    VEIL Guy is right.
    I might also caution that the results we got in the GOL test certainly aren't the final word either. The 8500 did beat the X50 in our test situation, and that is a fact.

    But an ideal test would include all three main Ka frequencies, and also would ideally test in a few different real-world type of speed trap situations, instead of just one.

    And with something as controversial as this, it would be nice to have a few 8500's and a few X50s to help verify the results, to rule out any "manufacturer variance".

    It is all on the to-do list, and we aim to please.

    Jim

  9. #9
    Professional
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,454

    Default

    I for got to say my x50 had Pop MODE TRUN OFF AT THE TIME I WAS TESTING IT MAYBE SOMETHING HAS TO DO WITH IT BUT THEN I DONT REALLLY THINK SO :?

  10. #10
    Advanced Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    7,509

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stealthJamal
    The POP theory is a good theory, but would it still apply if POP is turned off? My X50 lacks on Ka range with POP on or off compared to my original 8500.
    Maybe, maybe not. Some detector don't change the sweep when bands are turned off, others do. Detecors with a "synthesized sweep to allow things such as USA/INTL or Euro Mode are probably more likely to change the sweep. I don't know about the X50.

    Jim

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-19-2011, 08:56 PM
  2. Bad Range on new STI-R. Mounting or Receiver issue?
    By GTRstikya in forum Beltronics
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 05-18-2009, 05:09 PM
  3. Long range detection, close range J-out
    By Motor On in forum Valentine One
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-11-2009, 09:09 AM
  4. Difference between speed reeding range and detection range
    By wildcat in forum Laser Jammers - General
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-11-2007, 08:55 AM
  5. V1 Front Ka Range Detection Issue
    By ES13Raven in forum Valentine One
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 03-11-2006, 10:57 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •