Newcomer

Default Opinions on best detector in Alberta

After reading thousands of posts, I've finally realized there is no universal 'best' detector. As many of you have already said 'user specific'. I've been tossing around the 8500, X50 and RX65, because they score very well on tests. Well I live in a place where laser and photo radar are the primary means of speed enforcement. Photo is not really an issue, because the vehicles used are so obvious. Detectors are legal, so no need to fear Spectre III, and I don't think POP is being utilized (please correct me if I'm wrong). The only people using radar, are the RCMP, and I don't even know what bands they use. I appreciate all feedback.

Thanks

Experienced

Default Re: Opinions on best detector in Alberta

Quote Originally Posted by Dunwitu
    After reading thousands of posts, I've finally realized there is no universal 'best' detector. As many of you have already said 'user specific'. I've been tossing around the 8500, X50 and RX65, because they score very well on tests. Well I live in a place where laser and photo radar are the primary means of speed enforcement. Photo is not really an issue, because the vehicles used are so obvious. Detectors are legal, so no need to fear Spectre III, and I don't think POP is being utilized (please correct me if I'm wrong). The only people using radar, are the RCMP, and I don't even know what bands they use. I appreciate all feedback.

Thanks
    Weclome Dunwitu, nice to see another Calgarian on the board! I have an RX65, and find it great -- the false alert filtering is incredible from what I had previously (and from what I gather, better than the X50, and far better than the V1). Keep in mind that if you get a 65, you need to mount it tilted down slightly to improve it's laser detection. I'd also strongly recommend Veil to help protect you from laser -- I use it and it's great. The RX65 will also usually alert to the photo vans on the side of the road (always if you are driving towards them, but that isn't too useful), although the range is fairly low, but as you mentioned, they are quite obvious anyway.

The RCMP use both laser and radar, and in my highway driving experience, every RCMP radar I've encountered has been on Ka band, which the 65 does a very nice job of alerting to (always has given me ample time to respond to the threat).

I cannot comment on the X50, but I think that would certainly nicely do the job as well. Although I never have used one, I would recommend the 65 over the X50 just from what I've read due to what I perceive to be slightly better filtering on the RX65 which as a city driver is important to me.

Overall though, I'd wait about 2-3 weeks to read some reviews on the new STI before deciding on anything.